What do I need

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Paraguayguy, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am a hunting outfitter in Paraguay South America. My lodge is in a part of Paraguay where they fought a war against Bolivia that lasted 3 years during the 1930's. Several of the ranches and farms I lease were sites of major camps or battlefields. During the 70's I worked for Texaco doing exploration work in the same area. While cutting siesmic lines and building dirt roads, the bulldozers regularly uncovered war artifacts. We found helmets, old enfield rifles, buttons, shells, and you name it.

I think I will be the only soul to have ever looked for artifacts. Based on what I am looking for, what do I need and how much money should I look to spend on a detector. I don't need the best but don't want a useless piece of junk. The soil ranges from clay to fairly sandy. No rock at all, flat plains, and no issues with moisture. Its like a desert where I will be looking.

Thanks

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Wow you could find all sorts of stuff. Bobpaul will have better information for you than I can provide but I think a standard rule of thumb is 100 dollars per inch depth you want. Shoot Bobpaul a pm he can set you up with a link to a club he is a member of that is full of info.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You've got a gold mine of relics there.

One of the best detectors I've used for depth is a Minelab Soveriegn GT. Cost about 700.00, You won't need to use the discrimination, but it'll be there if you want it. It comes standard with options that'll cost you extra with other metal detectors.

I've found items as small as a dime at 18" depths. Be ready to dig and dig deep if you get one.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Watch out for ordinance!!

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the help. I am going to buy the minelab suggested. I have 16 Nivacle Indians that work for me each hunting season in Paraguay. They are the hardest working folks I ever have had the pleasure to know. They work as hunter assistants, cooks, wood choppers, game cleaners, and whatever chore I give them. They will become experts with a shovel for a share of the riches. I have three Military History books that cover the Chaco War complete with exact coordinates of the battles. I can't wait to give it a try in April when I head back down to Paraguay.

Attached Files:

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You won't be disapointed. The key to any good tool is getting to know it's functions and capabilities. Practice, practice, and more practice.

Getting the relics out of the ground unharmed is also important. Caution those guys on digging.

I'm looking forward to alot of pictures

7. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
  8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Werd..............

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I totally agree with this post. Bobpaul I believe you will steer a man in the right direction.I to look forward to the pics.:big_smile: