What Do I Look For In A Safe/Reputable Boat Landing?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by flathead22, Mar 13, 2006.

1. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey, guys, tell me what yall look for when deciding on the safest and the best boat ramp or marina overnight or through the day...what do I look for to see if a landing or marina is safe to leave a truck and trailer overnight???

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I know your pain first hand.

I always like plenty of lights, and its great if there is a bait shop owner close by watching his store :)

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    And then you still take your chances. Some people just do'nt care.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if possible i try to use a marina there is usually some body loading or unloading most of the time and that kinda helps also some have guards and you cant get in unless unloading a boat.

5. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I got my window busted out this past deer season at a ramp.... Note to everybody, if you put in at a boat ramp and you see a lot of glass fragments on the pavement, it's probably not a good idea to leave your truck there. I learned it the hard way.

6. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I like ramps with plenty of lights.You also might wanna drive by the landing and see if a lot of other people fish out of there at night.Even talk to a couple of them to see what to expect.Theres a landing where I live you have to leave your windows down so the idiots wont break your window.Sometimes it really doesnt matter you are still going to have to take a chance,just dont leave anything valuable in your truck.

7. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

i just have really good insurance on my truck and my cell phone to call the cops or a ride home

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I learned the hard way.........if its not lit up good, not paved going in, or a long way back in the middle of no- where......the river rogues will get you.
    I returned from a trip one day where I put in at Abercorn landing on the Savannah River and was minus a boat trailer. Thats a bad feeling.....You can also check with the local police dept. prior to a trip about how safe a particular landing is.

9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Because of what I have read here in the past, I have been locking my trailer to my vehicle. Don't know if that will stop someone that really wants to steal it, but maybe it will make harder for them?

10. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    You can call you local county law enforcment and they will tell you which ones they patrol.DNR also patrols and so does the Rangers.Now I don't know if your local lakes have this ,but I do know alot of ramps are patrolled .If they lights are out,(busted,shot,whatever) Trashy,no trucks,any signs of wrong doing I don't stay late.If its away from the road,way off from anything,I don't stay.Trail and error.I've been hit before,but I've learned alot.

11. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    ive been lucky so far, never really been RIPPED OFF at a launch. but every time i think about it. some people just dont respect other peoples property. i try only to use pay launches, free launches out in the boonies have their draw backs. getting back to the launch and find your trailer gone had to suck big time! charlie r

12. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i was at wateree last year night fishing and came back in to load up and someone had stole the tires off my jeep and the trailer

13. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thats pretty bad experiences everyone has had. At my lake its no problem at any marina. The rivers ive fished, I have put in at busy landings during day. At night I will drive the xtra 15 minutes (45 by boat) and put in at my bosses house.

Good insight from you guys on what to look for when im putting in at unknown rivers/lakes.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Which landing?

Hope it wasn't Cedar Creek.:sad:

15. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    yep it was cedar creek and haven't been back,i use taylors creek landing naw

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I usually use Cedar Creek and haven't had any trouble yet but I figure there had been some problems there before. Only reason I still use it is because its so much closer to where I fish than Wateree Creek landing. When your motor is just a 15 HP the closest route is the easiest to use. I have been worried about the people a few times.

Trash is a sure sign of problems.

17. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    never had anything broken into. but did have a battery stolen out of the back of my buddies car. passenger door dosnt lock. he asked me if i wanted to put it in the trunk. i said no, been fishin here a hole year aint no one bothered anything. it was very nice of them not to beak anything.