What do catfish really like in Chicken liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by vacatfish, Apr 26, 2006.

1. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    What isit that catfish really like thats in chicken liver.

2. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I would have to say BLOOD.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    They like cause it tastes like CHICKEN, LOL!!!

I would have to agree, It is the blood in the liver that attracts them!!!

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have always wondered the same thing. its not like theres chickens swimmin in the rivers or lakes that they feed on. i dont buy the blood idea just because its blood, beef and pork liver have way more blood but arent worth a darn.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think there are 3 things that could attract catfish. First, as mentioned above, is blood. Proven by the fact that uncured chicken liver is attractive to catfish. Second is salt. Blood is salty, and I think that's why salt works on most any bait. Third is garlic. Not so sure about this, because I've tested garlic & salt cured livers against anise & salt cured livers, and couldn't tell any difference in the number of bites, or size or type of fish caught.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

cause if it swam across the river, a cat would suck out his liver!!

:haha:

7. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    This flathead once told me it's because they like it's tenderness and fine bouquet.

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would think it's the blood scent in the livers.

9. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    My first guess would be they like chicken blood.. Usually all you see in baits is chicken blood. Why chicken blood? :p

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Chicken Blood has a certain amino acid that really attracts catfish..I have found they dont like beef blood nearly as well.

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    and the general consensus is BLOOD.

12. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Thank you all very much for the answers that have been gave.

Ok this is what i was thinking on the order of that they might like about the chicken liver.

1. The scent that the blood gives off in the water and that they pick up on that.

@. The acid content that the blood holds init along with the salt content.

Might have to take on the project of breaking the blood down step by step. ans see how things change when it's done.

My thinking is if making blood bait the idea may be a bad one to drain off the plasma. reason that plasma may hold most of the acids that they are attracted to.

Right now i do not have the blood to do the project but if someone els want to take over and try making one batch with draining off the plasma and the other batch without draining off the plasma and use them side by side in a test. to see what one works best feel free i would have interest in seing the result and out come. anyone willing.

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Interesting Point About The Chemical Composition Of tHe Chicken Blood, Like Alot Of You Have Said, And I Agree That The Beef & Pork Products Are No Where Near As Effective.

I Wish There Was A Poultry Packing House Nearby, I'd Buy A 5 Gal. Bucket Of It & Use It To Chum With.

Have A Great Day, Elliot

14. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Good question. I like chicken liver myself preferred over beef or pork. Why? It just tastes better.

15. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think its because chicken liver has the sent of a male catfish, I notice I caught all most all female catfish when I am using it.:)

16. frosty_whiskers

frosty_whiskers New Member

State:
    Texas
    Flathunter has the voice of knowledge. Amino acid is the biproduct of cellular breakdown of all cellular tissue in animals fish birds and reptiles/amphibians. Chicken liver breaks down extremely fast and leaches alot of amino acid in the process.

A good friend to the BOC and long time friend of mine had the honor of doing extensive research on amino acid and its effect on the bite. His name is Capt22nd Street, or Frank Liversedge. His research was done with help of USC's aquatic science center. They used catfish as the subject, because of the abundance of taste receptors located in catfish.

The study was extensive but the result is simple.

17. frosty_whiskers

frosty_whiskers New Member

State:
    Texas
    Amino acid stimulates feeding in all animal life. Because of this chicken liver will cause other aquatic life to get hungry as well. This same study has been conducted in most aquatic life centers throughout the U.S.

Those who live in the immediate area of chicken processors are at an advantage, because the fresher the liver the more abundant the amino acid.

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    are all amino's the same? ok, hows bout this idea.....i have 2 different kinds of amino suppliments (in pill form) that i take every now and then. one is l-lysene, and one is l-arginine. if these were crushed up and added to a bait, whether injected with a liquid or cured with the powder, would they create a great bait?

19. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I would assume its the amino acid in the blood. However, I have yet to ever catch a catfish on livers! And it is not due to lack of trying...lol

20. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The liver is nothing more than one of the bodies filter systems, so it is possible that any waste and waste by products that are residual in the liver at the time of death would contribute to the attractiveness to catfish along with the blood and amino acids. Just a thought

TA2D

Aaron