What Did You See?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Oct 30, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I thought it would be interesting to hear what kind of wildlife folks see during hunting season. I went hunting in the wind storm Saturday with winds at 30-40 MPH. I didn't get a deer but it was an interesting day anyway. In the morning I had 7 turkeys under my stand, (1 gobbler and 6 hens). Then about 10am I tried to put the sneak on two does but just as I was about to draw the wind shifted and they smelled me. At 6pm I had a Red Fox come in 20 yards behind me. When I left the stand there were two does in the field 150 yards from my stand. It was a pretty active day for as windy as it was.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well as you might expect when you walk around 12 miles you see alot in two days hunting we saw 30 mule deer tons of blue quail[know where to go come nov 15] about 20 cottontails but suprisingly not a single coyote i thought that was verry strange

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    When walking to my stand one year, I saw two eyes glowing at me down the trail. As I got close enough, I could see it was a hoot owl, blinded from my flashlight. It was only about 5-6 ft off the ground. It was so blinded, it never attempted to fly off, well, that is until I reached out and touched it. Now you know how quietly owls are supposed to fly? When I touched it, all hell broke loose as it hurriedly flew off, crashing into every limb and tree in it's way. Created such a racket, all the deer left the area. Well, that's the excuse I used when I got home that night.

Last year, I finally fooled a squirrel enough. It climbed up my arm to my shoulder, bent it's head around to look me straight in the face. Never quite figured out just what I was. I became instant friends with it, seeing as how most of my friends look at me the same way, from time to time.

4. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I often see a wide variety of critters while deer hunting, sun morn I saw 6 coons, 4 from the boat on my way out and 2 from stand, I just got a coyote back from the taxidermist that I shot while deer hunting. I some times see mink, otter, beaver, muskrat,fox, coyote, hawks, eagles, ducks, geese, squirrel, rabbit, 'possum, and some times I even see deer.

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    That sounds like an evening I had a few years back. I was in a stand with a big Cedar tree right behind me and a small Maple next to me. I was in full camo from head to foot. Right at dusk a Great Horned Owl came flying thru the woods and landed on a branch in the Maple just about 2 1/2 feet away from my face. In slow motion I raised my bow from my lap and eased it around until the broadhead was just a couple inches from the owl. Just as slowly, I eased it back down to my lap. Then I moved my left hand in ultra slow motion back to the Maple, grabbed the trunk which was about the size of a soda can and shook it as hard as I could. The owl almost landed in my lap before he got his wings opened up and flew off squaking.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hunt whitetails in Virginia and Brocket deer in Paraguay. See some neat varmits down there that we don't have here. Three types of javalina, pumas, ocelots, pampas fox, anteaters, tapirs, toucans, and even a jaguar from time to time. When I was in my twentys in South America and full of blood lust I would shoot anything that came by that was good to eat or had a hide I could sell. Now I only shoot deer and birds. The big cats and pigs have nothing to fear from me.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i seen a big set of tracks crossing my driveway today. been seeing a lot of does in my yard but no bucks or buck sign in the area. looks like somebody is looking for the ladies in the herd. sometimes a herd of does is better than big buck sign.:0a5: waiting on him

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I've been seeing lots of turkeys and saw the same hawk three times now. It tried to land in the stand with me.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    my luck has changed since my first post. in the last two weeks ive seen 9 different bucks and 2 where shooters but havent pulled the trigger yet. them big boys just dont give much time sometimes. still waiting on the right one. we have a long season, so still got a month to go. still seeing alot of does and thats my calling card for now.

10. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Was deer hunting and heard something, which sounded like it attacked a squirrel. Not to long after, a coyote head popped up over a hump. I would of had him if he took another step and showed his body, but man are those things keen. I didn't move a muscle and the wind was in my face, but he spotted me instantly. It was still cool, because that was the first time I seen one hunting and man was he close.

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've seen lots of deer. A few coyotes. Tons and tons of squirrels and two skunks. I was glad the skunk stayed a long way away from my stand.

12. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've seen lots of deer, a few coyotes, coons, opossums, tons of squirrels, Bald Eagles and a palliated woodpecker.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Well Willie I've only been out two days so far. (My mom took ill) The 18th I saw three hunters trespassing, I'll call them polecats. Two enforcement officers 20 minutes late, I''ll call them eagles. Nice fellas. Then the 20th I did see some turkeys who hung around under my stand till it got on my nerves a little. Making so much racket I couldn't hear anything. So I hit em with a doe bleat, and man they evidently are very sensitive creatures.
    Think I really hurt their feelings. This year kinda started out a bust. Nothing but boot tracks and drag marks. Same place last year I saw fox, hawks, owls, & deer out the wazoo. But I'm not giving up hope. Luck to all.

14. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Boots, sounds like you need to start hunting poachers. Can you find out where they park? Stake them out with video camera....after you let the air out of their tires.