What did I get?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Defender, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    After hanging around here for a while and starting to learn about serious catfishing, I have started to buy the equipment I'll need to pursue some big cats.

I have been buying some hooks. These have been Gamakatsu hooks in different sizes and colors, but in the same general configuration.

I thought these were "circle hooks," but now I'm not so sure.

Please help me figure out what I've been buying. Also, please tell me if these hooks are suitable for catching big cats.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    the hooks you have will work fine.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Bob, you are right; they are not circle hooks but they are absolutely suitable for catching catfish. A 7/0 will hold a fairly big bait so if you are wanting to use a smaller bait don't be scared about going smaller with the hook...W

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Defender, I can not bring your photo up to see the name on them, but if they are Octopus Wides, they will do the job for you. Some people think they might be better than circle hooks, I use both of them with success.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep there just normal octopus J-hooks.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    What you got there is a pack of good sharp hooks. Don't be affraid to cross thier eyes usein them.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Those are Octopus J's..you can set the hook with that kind:big_smile:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    First, Welcome to the BOC, It looks like you are ready to take full advantage of the site. That's Awesome! The hooks you have are fine and a good transition to circles. Remember with the circle hook you DON'T set the hook. Its very hard to learn! I know from experience. The fish will do it for you.

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Those are the same hooks I tend to use...( a size or two smaller for channels and general fishing) They will work for you...I refer to them as Octopus Non-Circle...Good luck i prefer them myself over circles.. but that is just me...