What depth works for you

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by perrycounty.in, Jul 24, 2009.

1. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what depth works best for anyone durning the day and at night

in a big river i might add like th ohio

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    approx 30 ft. drifting shad.

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I mostly bottom fish unless I'm drifting. Drop offs, sandbars, and holes. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    the river i fish isn't all that deep, during the day 10' and at nite 5-6' has been producing

5. dustcat

dustcat Member

State:
    pa
    lookin back most of our fish come in 15-20' range we fish the lower allegheny. good luck

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i fish the bottom myself always have.sometimes i use a float depending on snags and trying to find where the fish are holding but most times im on the bottom.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Day-15 to 30 ft.Nights-2 to 15 ft.:wink:

8. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I caught the fish in my avatar last night on riprap bank on the Mississippi River in 5-10 ft water real close to the bank right at dark.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I've been catching them in shallow water like 3 to 5 ft of water at night.

Just don't be loud and not make any noise and they will come shallow to feed.

On the river I fish, it's useless fishing for flats during the daytime. You have a better chance at night!:cool2:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    5 to 15 at night , day time 10to 30' for me. During the day it seams that the flatheads hold in deeper water.

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You have to try a LOT of things to get on fish. I start drifting over an area that is 35' deep and put out four rods at different depths. Then you can get an idea of how far off bottom they are feeding. If I don't get anything in the 35' range I will either try 20ish or 50ish depending on the time of day and season depending on what happens there I change that up also. I have caught fish drifting in as little as 12' and I was probably a few feet off the bottom. You also have to try different bait sizes at different depths in different parts of the water. I was out for four days in a row fishing the same spots because they were working great. On the fourth day the spot turned off I tripled the size of my baits and fished the same spots and tore em up. I have found in general though that if I can catch fish 3' off the bottom in 35' of water then the bite turns off weather I go to 25' or 50' I am still going to start with 3' off the bottom and work my way from there.

When I am specifically targetting flats I pay more attention to the structure than the depth. I usually fish log jams and downed trees in 3-20' of water.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  12. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I mainly fish the bottom. I dont really fish for flats that much, i guess if i did id try to drift live shad.:smile2:

13. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    ill take a 15ft. deep eddy with some boulders, but really depends on what time of year, and river conditions

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well, i got alot of freinds that run jugs and they un em in 5 foot about 10 yards off the bank if its at least 5 foot to 15 i think your set, they are not and will not be in the same depths this is not a qwestion you can swear by any means,but we all know they like strucer, and if that structer is in at least 5 foot, then id say put your gill there, and you got to know your lake and were the guys are pulling em out from that helps ask the locals,thats my advice on depth

15. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Around here 3' is about the max, unless its flooding. I like floating a gill just off the bank, 5'-10'. Works for me. Even when I fish bottom I keep it fairly shallow for the late night cruisers.

16. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    3-5ft at night for me sometimes up to 10ft.