What depth do you like fishing for flathead catfish at?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Rajun_Cajun, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well i have never been sure what depth to actually stalk the biggins. so ya give me your advice on what depths to fish.(it doesnt matter what season)

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    At night I will try to stay close to shore in about 2-8' of water. During the day I fish log jams, dont matter what depth, they will be in that cover. Its worked for me, Good luck

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Cajun, you could have just asked me this :p Anyways, flatheads dont like the light at ALL, they are the most nocturnal, and will stay deep and around big log jams during the day to shield themselves from the sun. At night they will come up shallower sometimes to feed on the baitfish that 'sleep' there.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'm in agreement with the above posts. During the day look for the deepest, most snag filled holes you can. At night, try and fish shallower areas that are say about 3-5ft deep that are close to the deeper, snagged filled areas. Just remember this for flathead fishing, if your not getting snagged, you probably won't catch many fish.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i totally agree as well. the big ones wont move very far from the "kitty-condo's", except maybe in lakes where they roam shallow flats. if the water i'm fishing is over 8-10ft deep, and if possible, i will use a float set anywhere from 3-6 ft deep near the banks.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will have to agree with all of the above as per my experience,:) but I have read of brothers getting them from holes 30' deep or more!:eek: I just haven't had the opportunity to fish those kind of places.:sad:

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have caught them that deep, and even deeper during the day. if you have a hole of any depth and there is no cover or snags flats will seek out the deepest water they can.

8. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    flatheads definitely cruise the shallows, but don't think that its the only place they feed. try big rock-piles in deep water, like thirty feet or more. i have caught flatheads in as deep as 60 feet. especially in the colder months of the year. basically if you find the cover, you find the flathead.

9. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They say in summer they like deep water but not deeper than 20ft. But I havent had as much luck with deep water as shallow flats. And also the bait is'nt gonna stay in deep water at night, they go to shallow flats, so thats where Flatheads go and look for them.

10. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    A couple of weeks ago catmankev and I were driftfishingat Baldwin Lk,we caught a 31 a 15 and an 11.lb. flatheads.We got them in about 30 ft.This is about all the deeper it gets.This deep water seems to be like a highway as we have also caught a good amount of blues here.They were all caught on cut bait.

11. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have no idea how deep my flathead holes are because I can't touch bottom w/ my paddle.:)

12. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    during daylite hours on the mississippi i like to fish deep holes just off the main channel. in my area this is 28-34 ft deep in pool #18. at nite they come up on the flats upstream from these holes and i seem to do the best in about 4 ft, usually within 200 yrds of the hole. between new boston and dam#17 there are huge logjams in deep water (60ft) on the outside bends, but they are hard to fish, due to all the traffic. it is fast current and anchoring is tough. it can get very dangerous very fast. fishing from the bank is impossible. i have caught my biggest fish there, but it's tough going.
    catwacker

13. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    at night you cant go too shallow is how i fish i know of a spot where everyrtime ii go there there is a 99 percent chance of at least seeing a big flat and its around a foot some areas two but thats in a backwater

14. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I don't normally fish for flats during the winter,but when I do I fish about 12' deep.The water is only about 15' deep,and I use live bait.During the spring I fish about 1' to 5' deep depending on where I'm fishing and I still use only live bait.I have never caught any flats on cut bait.I know other fisherman who use cut bait,just not around here.It always pays to try what ever you can, when ever you can,however you can,to help catch cats.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    During the day, I'll target deep holes in the river about 30' to 60'. At night and pre-spawn I'll fish about 2'-10' water with heavy structure. These depts are in relation to the Ohio river.

16. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I think a lot of it just depends on the time of day. During the day I like to fish deeper holes or log jams in the river. At night I will fish the shallower flats near the deeper holes where the flatheads go to feed at night.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Prespawn I love fishing a shallow flat, preferably off a sand bar.

18. sem21

sem21 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I Agree With The Others, But This Time Of Year Thay Change So Stay With The ShAllows, When Thay Start Spawning Thay Search For Food Almost None Stop For Couple Of Weeks Befor Finding There Holes. I Do Alot Of Noodling And I Have Pulled 50lb Flats Out Of A Couple Feet Of Water. You Should Catch A Lot Females For The Next 3 Weeks After That You Will See Alot Of Males, Then There Paired Up In The Holes So The Catching Kinda Slows Down. When The Hits 70 To 80 Its Going To Be Hit And Miss Untill July When The Spawn Stops For Oklahoma That Is!!

Good Luck Yall!!!!!!