What deep water?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by stonemaster, Mar 4, 2006.

1. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    I fish the Ky. river between locks 6 and 7. I have found many places where the water is 38 feet deep, average is 25. These deep places are either in the middle of a strait strech or on the outside bend. If I understand what I am reading on this site, I am supposed to find deep water with eddies this time of year, and with structure.These place that I have found all have the strongest current. I have been out many times this year and have not gotten even one nibble! I have been using frozen(thawed) shad, chicken livers and dip bait. I have also tried the mouth of the only stream of any size that empties into the river. It says on this site that channels and blues bite this time of year so what am I doing wrong. I am going out fishing again now but have little hope for fresh fish for dinner.Can anybody please help me.Thanks.

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    fish the the outside bends. if it rains, fish the mouths of feeder creeks.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Two things I would try although I am by no means a pro, is the first deep hole below the, I assume, lowhead dam at lock six. I also would get as close to the downstream side to any stucture.

4. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Thanks loanwizard. I tried an inside bend today, it was only 21 feet deep. but it was slack water and I got a few bites. No fish but better than nothing. I was using live shad, maybe that helped.Although I used live shad today at the creak mouth with no joy.

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Stonemaster,
    On the deep holes on the outside bends you need to set up to fish the up-current edge of the hole. The hole itself will act as a current break. Think of it this way, the current is flowing downstream from top to bottom. The current hits the bend and during high water periods, a hole is cut because the water changes directions right where it hits the bend and causes disturbance in the flow. Then when the water is at normal flow, the water in the hole is slack or nearly slack. The fish will hold in this hole because of the current break and the structure that naturally settles into these holes. The fish will be positioned facing up current. Any active or feeding fish will near the "head" of the hole. Place you bait right at and just over the up-stream edge of the hole. That way the current will carry the scent of your bait into the hole and any active or feeding cat will come looking for you offering. Hope this helps.

6. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Thanks arkie55. My problem is that these deep areas are not realy holes but are long streches of river. I have been trying to map the river bottom 5 miles up and 5 miles down from the boat ramp. There are no holes that I can find, simply slow changes in depth. For 1/2 mile it might be 20 feet deep , then slowly sink to 38 for another 1/2 mile. In these strechs of water is the deepest always on the outside bends. I have maped out many areas with structure, some large stones, and many trees. On the map that I am making I have marked the ones near both deep water and shallow. Of course there are many sand bars and even one place were the bottom rises up to within 5 feet of the surface right in the middle of the river. Why, I don't know but when the water is warmer I plan to dive down and see. I feel like when the weather improves I will have many good places to try but for now I am having no luck at all. Thanks for your advice, but the dams are a long boat ride in either direction. I am trying to find places that are close enough that I can fish there after work. My wife teachs a class in the evenings and I can go ever day until about 9:00 .

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Darrell, Arkie said about all that you should need to know to find the fish. Even though your "holes" are long and stretched out there still will be that eddy like current at the most prominent change to depth. This will usually be at the beginning of the bend, look for gravel and rock on the bank. This is how I usually find the eddy. It will usually be straight out from the bank that has the smallest gravels(like pea gravel) on it. I've never fished the Ky much above lock 1. So I really don't know how your river up there is laid out. You said something about trees in the water. I caught a couple of nice blues in a hole like that this past fall. Any structure will usually hold some fish. Just my two cents worth. Vern

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Darrell, I almost forgot also look just below the gravel bars at the mouths of creeks. I have always found good eddys there. Vern