What could have happened to this big boy?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatter, Jul 5, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    While camping at the lake this weekend, my boy and I were swimming during the afternoon, and noticed a large catfish floating around. We went over and dragged him to shore. I took pictures of him and will post them when I remember to bring the camera to work.

He did not have any apparent injuries, that I could find, and looked plenty healthy. Looked to be dead about 6 to 8 hours, was not stiff yet. He was very fat, although that could have been some bloating going on. I am almost positive he was a blue, but not 100% (what is the best way to tell for sure by the way?)

We tried to weigh him, but the scales we had only went to 20lbs, and he maxed them out before he was even off the ground. He was probably between 36 and 40" long.

Any ideas on what could have killed this big boy?? I thought it might have been a boat prop or something, but like I said, I could not find any injuries to him. I just don't know.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The anal fin is the best way to tell if it is a blue. As for what could have happened to kill the fish the list is long with no apparent trauma it could be a parasite internal injury pollution someone may have caught him put him in the cooler till they were ready to leave and then threw him back dead, old age and on and on.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Could have been caught from deep water and not burped correctly or at all.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That is a good possibility. Sort of like decompressing for humans when they come up fast.

Both posts list reasons that the catfish could of died.

5. Snappy

Snappy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Could have been caught from deep water and not burped correctly or at all.

How do ya burp a catfish?

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Burped? Ok, I've never heard of this... How do you do it??

7. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Old Age,maybe? It does happen.

8. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    rub the fishes tummy ;) ..ive also seen the use of a long piece of PVC about 1" in diameter,stuck down the throat,some times this alone will burp the fish but other times youll need to put your hand on the stomach and push up a couple times and youll get a burp....lots of way to do it i reckon....if the fishes stomach is hard when ya pull it out of the water this is when ya know ya need to burp the fish.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Another possibility is that he was caught and gut-hooked by someone that really didn't care whether he lived afterward or not.

My list of possible causes:
    Improper care by a fisherman
    Pollution
    Disease
    I wouldn't think old age for a fish that small.

With no apparent injuries this is all I can think of.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    As far as burping them Ive only heard of it never had the reason to do it, however like MadKater stated is how Ive heard to do it.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Someone might have caught him and drug him around all day showing friends then just threw him back in the water.

12. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    its the anal fin and probably chemicals or low oxygen levels could kill him as big fish die before smaller fish because they are air hogs! well its a shame to as why he died! :sad2:

13. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    If it wasn't due to human error (which is a good possibility), it was just nature's way of keeping the checks and balances for some reason. I hope it wasn't human error, though. That would be a shame!

14. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    This weekend i saw a 25+ lb channel cat that might of pushed the state record, dead on the shore. It didn't have any visible injuries. I also saw atleast 5 other channels in the 10 lb range that were floating dead, they also had no visible injuries. I thought they might not of been able to recover from the spawn, which might be the reason in your case too.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Hard to say, but my bet is improper release, i.e. throat/gill hooked, pulled from too deep water, discarded after dieing a live well.

As far as disease goes there are a lot of things that can happen, especially this time of year as the water warms and more parasites and viruses are present.

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I hate when that happens. Maybe just old age. A big old fish will do himself in during the spawn. I would think spawn recovering would be the hardest time for an old fish. Maybe he left his good genes for us.

Heres to the great fish.