What commercial baits shouldn't I buy?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by gadzooks, Sep 30, 2006.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    In keeping with Dreamcatcher's threads on rods, reels, and line we shouldn't buy, I though commecial prepared baits need to be addressed. My vote is for the bags of shad you see in the fishing tackle stores. I've never used them, but every few months someone posts a question about the long-dead shad and everyone always answers its no good.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would not use any commercial bait.

3. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    the only thing i ever purchase is worms, minnows and shrimp...mostly just shrimp on occasion....worms/minnows in the spring. I believe most of those commercial baits are designed to catch fisherman more so than fish.
    Learning to use a cast net and or minnow trap saves plenty of money, though there can be a bit of a time investment sometimes.

cyas
    rc

4. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    :cool2: Ive tried stinkbaits of all kinds, and have yet to get the first bite,fresh bait for me,is always best.good luck and good fishing.

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    strike kings catfish dynamite in a tube. lol i have a whole box of this stuff strike king sent me after i complained to their pr dept about their product.

6. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    The only 2 that I have tried and that have worked for me have been Danny Kings punch bait and Hog Wild. I have not had much luck with any of the others I have tried.

7. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i hate commercial baits none of em work but here is what dose

ok this is the best bait in the world and how you get it. head to walmart, go to the fishing department and grab a little Zebco 202 combo ($10), now get some small hooks and bobbers(like $5) and some worms(like $3). now catch some bream and use em either cut or live, i know everyone says how much better shad are but they die to easy, bream can stay alive for what seems like forever. hope this helps anyone who wants to buy comerical baits

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Never, never, never buy the shad in a bag.

9. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This was an easy one for me. I have used the shad in the bag on many tries with nothing, not even a bite stay away from this stuff.

10. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i have used the shad in a bag with some good results at a local lake with my nephew but any place else it is a waste of money hog wild is the only thing i have bought and had any kind of luck with and ghoulscout i have had shad alive in my bait tank for 6 days now with the right set up they are easy to keep alive

11. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Try sonny's it's the only one that has worked for me lots of channels and have seen a 20 pound flathead cout on it.worth a try

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would not buy the magic bait carp bait.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    So far, it appears that Sonny's, Hog Wild, and Danny King's may catch catfish. I've tried Sonny's and Danny King's with no luck, but may give it another try. Had no luck with Shelby's Catfish Candy, or Charlies. The best commercial bait, not in its natural state, I've tried is hot dog weiners, especially the ones with cheese.

14. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Anything that can be bought, aint bait. Except live minnows and worms nightcrawlers, crickets etc. Vern

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    fish eat fish .period.

no other bait works as well as fish live dead or otherwise

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Catfish eat lots of things, as do many other fish. Aquatic worms, frogs, water bugs, birds, baby gators, snakes, and almost anything that walks, crawls, or swims and gets in the water will be eaten if a catfish can get to it, get it in its mouth, and decides its mealtime.

17. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I've tried regular weiners, but I've never tried the ones with cheese.
    I might have to try them the next time out?

Ken

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The only commercial bait I've tried that works is Danny King's Punch Bait. Even in tournaments I will have Dk's on at least one rod.

19. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ive grown fond of
    sonnys all types
    DKs
    Catfish dynamite cheese
    Hog wild blood
    and Junnies any kind
    Hate them stupid shad that they sell pre packaged.I see people by them all the time and get angry when I givem the old "told ya so"

20. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    The baits that I would avoid are
    Any pre packaged carp bait
    Any magic bait in a bag
    the stupid blue cast nets in walmart ive had small bass rip giant holes in them(clear mono was ok)
    any berkely cat bait as well as scents for catfish
    and any tube bait such as lil stinker just to expensive id just fish with dip worms cheaper and not to much work