what coating to use

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by kooman, Oct 5, 2009.

1. kooman

kooman New Member

State:
    nebraska
    wanting thoughts of the guys who have used these products, what to use on aluminum floors in my boat, tuff coat or herculiner? or is there another product for about the same price? also what would i need to do to bare aluminum before coating? thanks

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ryno line that bad boy!

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
  4. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I used rust-oleum truck bed coating that you can get from walmart im not sure what to tell you on surface prep as mine was already primed wi i got the boat. Total cost on mine for the coating and grey paint to go over it cause i didnt like the black was 125 dollars. My boat is a 17 foot duracraft thats 5 feet wide. It took 2 gallons of the bed liner to cover it.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Truck bed liners are heavy and rough.

There are better products for the purpose in boats.

6. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tuff Coat.... but follow the darn instruction to a T. Use automotive grade self etching primer and make sure you surface is prep'd right before applying. slowly build up the layers of tuff coat, don't dump or goop it on. its a really good product and work/cleans up well with a powerwasher.

7. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
  8. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A guy like yourself must have some good ideas for a product to use Mark. WHat would those products be Mark?

9. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Put in sections of snap down carpet. Helps with sound, is comfortable, never slick, and you can just take it out and hose it off as needed.

10. jdarant

jdarant New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have also been considering using the rustoleum bed liner stuff on my boat but i'm not sure if it will adhere to wood. The floor is marine plywood. Also wondering if this stuff heats up, i know i can cook eggs on the deck of my aluminum boat in the summer!

11. niteangler

niteangler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I put tuff coat in my war eagle I like it and its holding up pretty well it does get hot in the summer sun tho. I got it from bass pro, I used the primer and two coats of tuff coat. My buddy did his duracraft the same time he used three coats and his is not holding up as well as mine not sure why. I used the tan color and his is dark grey.

12. SS minner

SS minner New Member

State:
    California, Missouri
    You may want to look into a product called Durabak. Thats what i'm going to use. I've heard a lot of praise about it.

13. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Whatever you use the key is in the preparation.:wink:
    Aluminum that has been sandblasted can be coated directly with a 2 component epoxy like rustoleum 9100 series.You can buy fine grade aluminum oxide from a tractor supply and sprinkle this directly on top of the applied epoxy while its wet if you saturate it to the point of rejection than when it dries you will have a suface that will be like a sheet of sandpaper.You could pour oil on top of a surface like that and still have some slip resistance.

14. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    rhino line that thing

15. kat crazy

kat crazy New Member

State:
    tenn.
    YOU NEED TO DO 1 OR 2 THINGS DEPENDON THE BOAT IF THE BOAT HAS NO PAINT ON AT ALL,,, THE EASYEST THING IS TO TO SOMEBODY THAT HAS A SANDBLASTER ,,LARGE IF IT EVEN HAS PAINT ON IT . HE WILL CLEAN IT SO YOU SRAY OR ROLL BED LINER ON THE BOAT BE SHURE YOU HAVE RUBBER GLOVES ON DONT LET YOUR SKIN TOUCH THE BOAT BECAUSE OF THE IN YOUR SKIN. THE SAND WILL RUFF UP THE ALUM- ENUFF SO YOU WANT HAVE TO SAND IT DOWN . PRIMER OR NO PRIMER IS UP TO YOU . DAD TOLD ME ALOT PRIME IS THE KEY FOR YOUR TOP FINISH STAYING ON ANYTHING 50.00 TO 200.00 TO A AVERAGE 18 FOOTER YOU WILL HAVE THAT MUCH TIED UP IN SAND PAPER SANDERS AND A LOT ON TIME . I AM IN MT. PLEASANT TN. I HAVE A LARGE BLASTER