what ckoke is my shotgun?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by roadkill636, Jan 15, 2010.

1. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I have 12 ga double barel shotgun with NO markings stating what chokes the barrels are the sizes are
    o.700"
    0.710"
    anyone have a link to a chart of what these would be considered

2. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I'm not sure about the choke, but I'd recommend finding a local dealer or gun smith to look it over.

3. KY_465

KY_465 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to be involved in shotgun shooting matches 20+ years ago. At that time an inner measurement of .700" was considered a factory full choke. Some brands (Browning for example) would be a little tighter, in the .690" - .695" range. Some other members may have a little more current info. to offer though.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I put a dial caliper on my gauge, and the .700 appears to be between full and modified. Closer to modified.. just above half between the two on the gauge

.710 is between modified and Improved..closer to modified..

If the shotgun is an Older model, American, British, or European, turn of the Century,,1900's, most of the builders had their own specifications for chokes..

My gauge is a universal blade style, that is dropped into the bore, and a reading is made from where the gauge stops.

A chart ,, from the old days, is only as good as the guns it was made for..

New guns,, are probably built to a more universal standard..

and, I don't have any charts, to speak of..

Greg

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    thank you,, Im thinking its mod - full, 30 " barrels.. its a Stevens model 311 E in remarkable condition

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Ok, Stevens,, That would be considered, Modern, even if it was made in the 40's -50's..Not sure when they started producing those models..

If you take the forend off the gun, then remove the barrels,from the action. look on the bottom of the barrels, and their should be some type of marking, on each barrel,,forward of the locking lug area,, some kind of number,,,,.they should be different.
    It may not mean anything to you, but, it might to someone more versed with Stevens..I'm not familiar with those too much.
    It could be on the watertable,, the horizontal flat part of the receiver section of the gun,,but, more than likely, on the barrels.

The watertable would also, have the serial number stamped on it, as well as proof marks.

But, bottom line,, If the gun fits you nicely,and you can hit with the gun,, choke is not a huge factor. but, it's nice to know...

7. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jeremy, a lot of those Stevens 311s were made and most, if not all, are still good today. I have two of em. Rather than being concerned with the chokes, I'd recommend checking your pattern. Get some paper and put a 30" circle on it. What ya wanta do is see where your mass of shot is hitting. If your aiming or pointing dead center and your shot group is high, then ya know you'd need a "6 o'clock" sighting hold. Shoot from a distance where ya normally would shoot at whatever it is ya normally shoot.
    And shoot both barrells. Some of those side by sides were made for both bbls to hit the same spot at a certain distance. Only experementing will tell ya where most of the shot is hitting.
    Good luck and hope ya enjoy it.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Excellent advice,,,

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Remington lists it's 12 gauge, as Full, 0.691, Modified as 0.709, and IC as 0.718, plus or minus .002". This ought ta give a general idea. This taken from their RemChoke data sheet.