What Christmas Means To Me

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by riverwiskers, Nov 24, 2006.

1. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    Yep, its that time of year again. Thanksgiving is over and the Christmas season is officially here. There will be long lines at the department stores, check-out counters, traffic lights,post offices, almost anywhere you go there will be a long line. There will be people working too much overtime, second, even third jobs to make some extra money so their family has a good Christmas. Then there are those who wont work at all and sell drugs,sell themselves, break in, rob, steal , even kill just to get that special someone that perfect gift. Fortunately not most people will be that way. But if you celebrate Christmas you will run into or at least here about some or all of these things. That's when I take the time to reflect on the past and what Christmas means to me.

First I must give a disclaimer. In my story I will speak about my religious beliefs and why I celebrate Christmas. Please understand that I am not telling you how or why you should celebrate Christmas. Nor am I pushing my religious beliefs on you. I will save that for the proper thread in the proper forum. I know how some threads regardless of the subject matter can lead to heated debates and even make enemies of friends. If you don't celebrate Christmas or disagree with why I do or don't agree with my religious beliefs, please ,just this once, let it go. I don't want this thread to turn into a negative distraction of Christmas like those listed above. Here's my story.

A few years back, my wife's uncle Eugene came to live with us. I don't remember the reason why but that's irrelevant anyway. He was a 25 year old single male and living it up just as a lot of us did at that age. My wife and I were and still are God fearing people and were very attentive and active in our church. Eugene seldom went to church. After coming to live with he began going to Sunday school, worship and mid-week services with us. He heard the gospel of Jesus Christ many times and was given, as the rest of the congregation ,the the opportunity to respond but never did. One day in a casual conversation the subject of salvation came up and he said he wanted to respond but in his words "I just didn't" Feeling convicted I realized it wasn't just the preachers job to share the gospel of Jesus, as a Christian it was my job as well. But "I just didn't." On Christmas eve my wife, Eugene and I were doing our last minute Christmas shopping, on our way home we stopped by my wife's cousins house and our pastor was there. I told him about Eugene and my own convictions. He asked if I wanted him to talk to Eugene. I told him since I felt convicted I thought it was my responsibility but didn't know what to say or how to say it. He said a prayer with me and told me to let the Lord lead me. We left and home. I asked Eugene if he would help me wrap my wife's gifts so I could put them under the tree. While wrapping the gifts the subject of salvation came up and he said he wanted to respond in church but just didn't. I told him he didn't have to be in church just be sincere about he decision he was making, I said he could do it right here, right now. I asked if he was ready and he replied with a humble yes. I prayed and he prayed and he accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior. It was right around midnight Christmas eve. Right before the day we "chose" to celebrate The birth of Jesus and why he was born. What a Christmas it was. I had the privilege of witnessing and being a part of the greatest exchange of gifts anyone could ever ask for. The greatest thing Eugene could give God was his heart and the greatest thing God could give Eugene was life eternal.

Months later an aneurysm ruptured on Eugen's brain. He died at the young age of 26 in his home. I was comforted by the fact that I was there when he accepted Jesus as his Savior and I new at that moment God prepared a place for him. Little did I know he would get there so soon.

When I get caught up in the negative things that come with the Christmas season, I reflect on the past and it reminds me why I celebrate Christmas and that's What Christmas means to me.

Dale

2. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    What does Christmas mean to you? Would love to hear your Christmas stories.

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Jesus' birthday and a good day to be with family & friends.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    May GOd bless you DAle reps to you:big_smile:

5. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Thank you for the post, Dale.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    What Christmass means to me is sumed up very nicely by Linus in the TV cartoon called a Charlie Brown Christmass. I watch that show every year. My kids and I use to sit on the couch together and watch it but they are grown now. So I sit and have memories. When Linus walks out on stage and explains what Xmass is it touches me.
    Bill

7. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Christmas,

What a wonderful time of the year it really is. It's not about spending lots of money on gifts. Some Folks put themselves in tremendous debt trying to keep up with the Jones's and thats truly sad.

To me, Christmas is a time to be with Family, and share a good meal, and have great fellowship with one another. We never know how long us, or one of our Family members are going to be here, so we need to spend quality time with everyone while we can.

Money is not everything, sadly to some, that's all they think about. I would much rather have something made by someone, than a store bought gift. Just the thought of someone thinking enough of me to make something with their own hands, is a gift you can't buy with money....