What Channel Cats Eat in the Winter

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by strider, Feb 17, 2006.

1. strider

strider New Member

State:
    Bruceville-Eddy, Texas
    During Christmas break I was able to get my kayak out on one of our local reservoirs (Tradinghouse Creek, near Waco) and catch a few nice fish. The channels I caught had some interesting food items in their stomachs. I have identified most of them but I thought I'd throw it out for some of you and give you a chance to give your opinions....

Attached Files:

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    looked atleast the second one to be vegetation, some sort of sea weed. First one was so blured i don't know what it is... could possibly be some sort of insect but i can't be sure w/o seeing it in person or having a clearer picture.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    My guess is the first one is some type of fish. the second would be some type of plant??

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
  5. strider

strider New Member

State:
    Bruceville-Eddy, Texas
    I apologize for the quality of the photos.

1st photo contains about a dozen Harris Mud Crabs. These are creatures that were probably accidentally introduced into Tradinghouse Creek by Texas Parks and Wildlife during stocking of redfish into the lake. Apparently the cats really like 'em. The long white creature is a centipede about 6" long.

2nd photo is the hindquarters of of a coot (a.k.a. "mud hen"). Whether it is the result of a live predation or scavenge I couldn't tell. Still it was one heck of a meal for the channel.

Both these fish exceeded 6 lbs. The fact that they were ready to eat again was the big surprise to me!

6. jetdrive

jetdrive New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    A few years back, when the local river was on a muddy rise, I caught several nice channels. Two of these (around 8 lbs) had swollen stomachs and while cleaning them I discovered one had swallowed 6 small mice and a green snake. The other one had eaten a half grown grey squirrel! In my opinion, when the go on a feeding frenzy, they will take anything that gets in front of them.

7. lonchr

lonchr New Member

State:
    MO
    I've also found mice in channel cat. I found mine around one of the forks of Mark Twain in MO.
    Chris

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That looked like a crab?

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I caught a nice 5 pounder last year and when I cleaned it I found it had a baby turtle in its stomach..that turtle had a big bite of the fishes stomach and I could not pull him off..never seen that before. Also found a live crawdad in a catfish once. I had been fishing with worms at the time..didnt come from me!