What changes a man

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kvillcat, Aug 12, 2009.

1. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    My dad got me started fishing when I was just a little older than 2. He taught me that if it was big enough to bite the hook, it was big enough to keep. Now you have to now a little about my old man. He was raised in back woods LA ( Lower Alabama). And if you didn't catch or kill something you didn't eat alot of times.And that was how he was raised . Well growing up that was instilled in me. And after my folks split up and my mom was raising myself and 2 younger sisters it was the same for me. If you didn't keep what you caught sometimes you didn't eat. So I kept most everything I caught. Now as I got older that changed. I would still catch a mess of fish but I was just to lazy to clean them:big_smile:. So I would release them. As time went on I found myself relaesing more. Now I still keep a few but mostly release what I catch. So when did my philosophy change? And what changed it. Well for me it was partly laziness and lack of need. You see my dinner didn't rely on if I caught something. And I felt some sympothy for the fish I caught. I figured if that trophy fish I caught had lived this long then I should let it live longer. The cat in My Avitar is the largest Cat I have ever caught 44lb 11oz. When I was younger it would have been steaks and my dad would still cook that one up. But now that I have changed, she is swimming around for me to catch again and again.

John

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah i agree a 44lber could make a good few meals but.. for fish that size in these times CPR would be the way to go! Congrats and keep thinkin that bro. :wink:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good deal on the cpr.

In this day and age, with so many people catfishing, if everybody kept all the big fish, there sure would be many big fish left.

Back in the day, there was alot less pressure on our waters, and it did not hurt as much to keep some fish.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have the same history..My Grandfather was a commercial fisherman and trapper down in south Louisiana..What he caught fed the entire family..Sometimes we didn't eat so well other times we ate like kings..Now no one in my household really eats fish so I throw everything I catch back..

5. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    It really shows how we are blessed now a days to have food on the table. I was raised on squirrel and deer meat. Like Hank said, "a country boy can survive":wink:.

6. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Great thread, for me it was about numbers, I just could not eat the amount of meals of fish that I caught and being a guy that was raised on,, You eat what You kill, I let most of my fish go , but I always have a few meals in the freezer and if I am going to let them go,, The 10 to 20lb fish is what I kept letting the big fish get even bigger...:wink:
    Puddle

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  7. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I can't eat all the fish that I catch, so most of them go back, and all fish over a couple pounds go back. Too many fish advisories around here and I like to be able to catch big fish again.

8. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I like to keep a few and fry em up for me and the kids as they seem to appreciate eating fish they caught.But anything bigger than frying size is going back and they even understand that.

9. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I too was raised with the if you kill it you are going to eat it. And when I fish now way over 90 percent of fish caught get released because I too am too lazy too clean them. And I dont really like frozen fish so I tend not to keep more than we can eat in a meal or two. I will keep a few small packs of fish for the times i want fish and cannot go fishing, but fresh is always better in my book.

10. goneflatheadin

goneflatheadin New Member

State:
    cullman al
    i grew up the same way , if you catch it you eat it, so I was like that a long time, but god bless america now I can keep a few and throw the rest back , Like this year I have throwed all back.

11. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks for the post John and the story within it, I enjoyed reading your post!

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Life changes a man.I think the longer and harder you pursue any kind of game,water or land,the more respect you learn to give that species.:wink:

13. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc

I agree. For me anymore it's the thrill of the chase:big_smile:. I love a good challenge.

John