What causes fish kill?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DLB-in-GR, Oct 2, 2005.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I was fishing at my favorite lake this afternoon and noticed to my horror dead channel catfish floating by the shore. I moved to the other end of the lake and they were dead there too. What could cause this?

Thanks,
    Doug

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Could be a run off into the lake of some kind of pollutant. I would definitely make some phone calls and get the proper authorities lookin into this.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    was it alot of fish or just one or two if alot make some calls get someone ouy there.one or two may just be some fish that didnt make it after being hooked . or maybe some fish that somebody let go after to long out of the water.

4. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Im with tim if was alot of fish i would get someone out there proto.....Good luck with it.

5. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    So far I have only seen 3, but they weren't on the same end of the lake. I suspect what I saw weren't all that were dead, but I was on foot and couldn't explore the lake more fully. Sessions Lake is manmade, in a State Recreation Area. There is a DNR post so I will let them know what I found the next time I am there. Hopefully it isn't a bigger problem than the few I saw.

Thanks,
    Doug

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Three fish is not that bad. I would bet that they were caught and released fish that someone throat hooked and ripped the hook out of. Being a public lake there are a lot of inexperienced anglers fishing the waters and that could lead to a mishandled fish. When you start seeing 30-40 fish dead then it is probably a good time to call the wildlife commision in your area.

We had a big fish kill here on a local river several years ago and there were hundreds, probably thousands, of dead fish. It was from a chemical leak into the river from a water treatment plant. The leak depleted oxygen in the water leading to the kill. There were a lot of happy birds and coons though.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Catfish are pretty hardy species,usually the bluegill and bass will die off first if its oxygen depletion.Chemical spill is an equal oppertunity killer,you would see all species.Sounds like what others posted,C&R gone bad or dumped fish.Sometimes fish just die from disease or natural causes also.Sounds like a isolated incident.

8. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Not being rude but this is what needs to be done. first net one of the dead cats put it into something to hold it in and get one whole cup of water from the area they are in. take it all home call your local game and inland tell them what you have found. and let them know if the want a sample of the water that you have one whole cup of it from that area and you also have one of the fish if they want to pick it up for testing also.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    could also been that someone stringered them and decided after they were 1/2 dead to toss em back. that don't work either. 3 dead fish i don't think is a concern. if more pop up then ide start worring.

while were on this subject i know of 2 farm ponds in central il that "turned over" killing every fish in it this year. we had an extreme drought. does this cause this? what does?

10. shadow

shadow New Member

In this neck of the woods, fish lills are usually caused by a wife with a pan of hot grease waiting at home for supper to arrive.

Sorry guys---I took my smart azz pills this morning.

11. willisjj

willisjj Guest

We have had a bad problem down here with "Golden Algae" and I understand Texas has also had very bad problems in the past. It will ruin whole lakes. Do a google search and you can get more info. If it was Golden Algae though, there would be a lot of dead fish and Game and Fish would probably be on it already.

12. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Alot of the time during the summer months in lakes the oxygen levels will get down dangerously low. Heat is usually the culprit. It is common that fish will die from it. The only way i would be concerned if i kept finding dead fish. Or the fish kept dying in a specific area then i would call the proper authorities. Before making any hasty calls i would check the area a couple more times.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    With oxygen levels low from the summer then you add in the decaying plant live this only depletes the oxygen level more. This usually results in a higher fish kill then 3. Although it is always the bigger fish that die first in a fish kill do to the fact that they require more oxygen then little ones. I never heard of the golden algae around here we have blue algae well it's more of a blue/green color.

14. willisjj

willisjj Guest

15. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I believe the oxygen levels drop. what causes this a mystery in some cases. I have seen two big kills in my life both in Louisiana. :D

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im guessing oxygen dropping is what they mean by turning over. we had several consecutive near 100 days this summer combined with a sever drought. all ponds creeks and such were real low. 2 i know of were wiped out. the top was nothing but dead fish. :crying:

17. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
  18. Froggiestyle

Froggiestyle Guest

When it comes to fish kills, as most of stated, low oxy, bacteria, and chemicals end up killing fish. In natural bodies of water, meaning no feed of water, (which is always caused by man made damming, and pollution), in private or park lakes, etc... tend to cause fish kills. Natural made lakes and ponds are always fed by creeks and springs keeping the water oxygen stable , hence why the population of fish are plentiful. When we create a lake or pond, if you notice most have areators in the water, that means that there is no feed of fresh water into the body of water to create oxygen. Some fish kills are produced nautrally by bacteria. That doesent mean that it's devistating the fish population. The only way it's a threat is if it's a bacteria that was introduced by us. The serious fish kills are because of us being stupid causing it because we have companies dumping waste into the water that's not supposed to be there.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    gofish. thanks brother. shoot thats joe. didn't rem with the different profile pic. then the handle got me thinking. good to see ya.

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Froggie,
    I believe you got it partly right. All body’s of water have some run off into it man made or not. How else are they going to fill up? Secondly wind creating waves turning the surface water over puts oxygen into the water too. What can deplete the oxygen level’s is decaying plant matter in the fall and heat. Chemicals from farm fields into ponds and lakes can hurt the body of water and the fish too. Mostly though all fish kills containing oxygen levels is going to cause the larger fish first then the smaller sizes.