What causes a bow to break? Was it the fiberglass you think?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by fishnfool68, Oct 6, 2007.

1. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I was going to do some target practice.I open the case of my bow to find my bow broken.I keep my bowcase in the corner of my garage where nothing is near it.I am really upset by this,could thier have been a crack in the fiberglas that overtime just gave way?My kids are little so they didn't doanything to it.I don't know how this could happen.Thier was nothing wrong with it last spring when I put it up.Here is a couple pics.Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Mike,

Was your bow by a heat source in the garage?

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Mike, we believe ya! Besides, whats important is that your wife believes ya. Hope you enjoy that new bow you've been wanting all summer.:wink:

4. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    what kind of bow and how old.lots of things can cause cracks in limbs ,stored in heat, stored in extreme cold ,dry firing or faulty limbs from factory.i had to send a browning mirage back once for the same thing they replaced the limbs for free no questions.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike, one of the limbs broke on my bow. i called the factory (darton) and they told me if i was the original owner they'd fix it for free. there were updated limbs available, but it had to be machined to make them work. i complained so much about having to machine it to fix it. they decided (since it was'nt updated) that they'd go ahead and do it for me. i threatened to buy a hoyt! lol. anyway when they were working on it, they broke the riser. they replaced the whole thing. the riser, the limbs, cables, string, and both cams, and modules. the only thing i got back was the rubber grips! i knew i'd get my way because i had a friend that bought a pse, and found out it had a cracked limb. i already knew there was a recall on it, so i got it from him, and sent it in. they did the same thing for that one. sent me a complete new bow. thats my son's now. it's still new, never been hunted with till this year. i would definately contact the manufacturer. tell them it happened when you were drawing it back and it almost ripped your face off!!! they'll fix or replace it to keep you happy...

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I'll try to add the pic again.This is an old bow,I got it from a forclosed home I cleaned out for a realtor about 5 years ago.It was free ,but I can't afford to buy another one this deer season.Its a Jennings XLS,I'm not sure they would do anything for me consedering I didn't buy it .It wasn't near any heat source it was setting beside some old fishing poles in the corner of the garage,I shot it last april,and it was fine.Tell me what you guys think of these pics.

Attached Files:

7. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    hey mike, it looks like the outside layers are delaminating,it could have had a crack in it for a while but it was so small you didnt notice,until it split all thr way,may have been dry fired before you got it?try to call factory and see if you can find a new limb or find a junk or used bow same model and use that limb.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looks like the layers came apart to me. Definately call the factory.

9. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    be thankful it didn't break while you were shooting it

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mike,

From the looks of that crack, I am guessing that it was caused by heat cycles. You live in Oklahoma. Unless your garage is air conditioned, and you never open the door durring the summer, then YES, it was near a heat source. Beings that it is in a black case, and I'm sure at some point the garage door was up, sun hitting the case, black case heated up rather quickly.

In fact, the game warden was talking about that VERY thing happening yesterday durring my hunters saftey ed class yesterday.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I checked and you have to be the original owner for warranty.
    http://www.jenningsarchery.com/service/warranty.tpl
    You might check to see what they charge to get new limbs. Looks like a nice bow and would be a lot cheaper than haveing to buy a new one. I shot a Jennings carbon extreme in 3-ds. It was a beauty, teal limbs and all chrome. Sweet shooting bow, should have kept that one....
    Hope you get it fixed.

12. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I'll contact Jennings to see what the cost would be to fix it.It does shoot good,but its a very heavy bow.Depending on cost to repair,I may just have to buy a new one for next year.I am very thankful it didn't happen while I was useing it.Regardless I know I'm blessed,I just know I'm going to have a great gun season this year,and maybe a new lighter bow when all this plays out.I'm thankful to all my BOC brothers for your helpful input.

13. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Lamination seperation caused by a combination of heat and pressure. There was probably a factory defect or a weak spot caused by dry firing or a lot of shooting arrows that were too light for the setup. Never store a bow in a bow case in an area that is not climate controlled. If you are going to store a bow for long periods of time it is wise to loosen the limbs and take the pressure off them.

14. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If it was caused by heat then they need to pull everyone of those bows off the market!!! Someone will be injured. I dont think it was heat. Heat causes expanision not contraction. So I rule out heat. I just think it was faulty from get go and your darn lucky you werent injuried. I am thankful for that!!!