What Catfishing Equipment?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Mr Okie, May 14, 2009.

1. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    I was just wondering what equipment the board recommends for cats.

Spinning or Bait Cast???any particular brand or make???

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    If you are comfortable using them baitcast would be my choice.

As far as brands it depends on what your budget is.

3. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Well then let me rephrase my question.
    If you were a rich SOB then what catfish rod and reel would you be using?

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Scott, my favorite rig in a Catfish Safari Lake rod with a Shimano Tekota 600 mounted on it. That setup will run you right around $250 per rig.:wink:

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    For the money you can't go wrong with a Penn 220gto and a surge rod.. It will pull a car off the bottom if you're built like Riverrat.. hehehe

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'd say a Catfish Safari Rod topped with an Abu 7000ic3, I don't care for the Tekota personally.

You won't get the casting distance out of a Penn reel either.

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    You can't go wrong with Catfish Safari rods or Surge elite rods. I wouldn't buy the surge trophy series because the reel seats have had some problems. The Catfish Safari rods hold up great, they have a parabolic bend and Steve Brown backs the products he sells. As far as reels go, the abu's that I have are junk. I have the 7001 red reel and it sheds bolts, springs and screws like a long haired dog in summer. I think the tekota from shimano is about the best reel for the money. If they made them in a left hand I would have some. If you are serious about getting into catfishing I would check out the tekota in a line counter.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I agree about staying away from the cheap Wally World basic 7000 series but the ic3 or Pro Rockets will get you the quality and durability you are looking for.

(And I still don't like the Tekotas) Not saying they aren't quality, because they are, I just don't like the spool disengage and engage. And I can't even remember exactly what it was I didn't care for but used them for a whole day on a buddies boat. (Do you have to manually re-engage the spool instead of being able to just crank the handle maybe????) Seems like that was the issue but can't remember anything anymore.

Go to Cabelas and play with all of them, you'll find what you like best by handling them. Opinions will be all over the board when it comes to equipment.

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I've got a pair of Penn 220gto's and they are Chinese junk. Both have been sent back because they fell apart. I've got a brand new one that squeals when you cast it:confused2:. I wouldn't trade one of my tekotas for 10 penns. LOL.LOL!:wink:

10. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Skipeye is right I have the cheap abu's and I don't recomend them. I have several friends who have the tekotas and I have used theirs, they cast great and have a smooth drag. I have never used the high end abu's but the company at least makes something for the lefties so they can't be all bad.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have Surge Elite's topped with the "cheapo" Abu Garcia 7000i's and I love em! Have yet to have a complaint. If I could afford to go with the 7000ic3 then that's what I would definately buy. Although the Shimono 800 is a fine reel as well.

Just remember, you get what you pay for!

12. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    if you are looking for anything other than a baitcast, id go with the okuma avenger or epixor baitfeeders, by far the best reels i ever used

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Penn 209's are built like tanks. They aren't going to be as smooth as the Tekota's or high end Garcias, but you can pick them up off ebay for $30 a piece and they are super easy to work on if something does go wrong. I'd recommend these for boat fishing only because they aren't great casters unless you do some work to them.

Pair them with a good Catfish Safari or Surge rod and you will be good to go.

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I build my on rods, and I put Abu's on them. I have not had any reel issues with mine, you just need to maintain them a little more than Penns or the other reels.

However, I also, have a 13' Surf Rod, mounted with a Penn 9500 spinning reel, which is a nice set up also. Not many BOC members talk about spinning reels, I think it a a taboo subject, however I will put that Penn up against any reel, under any circumstances. It has 3 advantages over my Abu's, distance casting, and retrieval speed, and no backlashing.

15. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I must be the only person that likes the quantum irons. I have a abu 7000 and it is a fine smooth reel however i like my 320 iron a lot better. For rods you can/t beat a ugly stick for their price.

16. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i need to buy a surge i keep hearin they are good rods

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a27:

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    All the guys have covered the bases pretty nicely for you.

Depending on your budget these would be my recommendations as well for the Mississippi River.

Rods : Catfish Safari or Surge Elites. Team Catfish (jeff williams) also has a comparable rod line he started last year.

Reels: Shimano Tekota LW's in the 6 or 7 hundred series based on your preference, or the 7000 I's.

Best bet would be to go play with the rods and reels and I you'll know what feels good to you and what doesnt.

19. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Thanks for all the info guys. I just wanted to get a feel as to what everyone else has found to work the best. It is always better to let some else do the R&D at their expense. I used to be a die hard Abu guy with my Bass rigs until my Cuz down in Louisiana brought me to light on the Shimano Curado's and Calcutta's. Now everything in the Boat is Shimano for bass and B&M for crappie. Good stuff sells it self.

20. Big Muddy Catter

Big Muddy Catter New Member

State:
    Grain Valley MO
    I have six Penn 209s on Bass Pro CatMaxx rods heavy action and have had no problems.