What cat rod blank to use

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by puddle jumper, Jul 13, 2008.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ive bilt a couple of fishing rods now and im ready to start a cat rod, im not looking for the super hi end but I dont want to go with junk eather would like the rod to last,,, I fish for mostly blues in the Tn River where there are some big fish, not a lot of snags so I dont need crazy power to get them out of log jams, but there is always a posability of 75-100 LB fish "I HOPE" , Anyway what do you bild with, and would recomend and what would you stay away from...what do you use your rod for,,also im fishing from a boat so I dont do the super long casts, :wink:
    Thanks a lot,
    Puddle,,,:cool2:
    PS, im leaning tword the Graphite-USA blanks like the BSW70HPlus

2. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    i would check out mudhole.com an look at there gator galss balnks i have never wraped one myself but had a friend that wraped a few of them for himself an they casted pretty well an were tough if you could find a sabre blank somewhere they are probly some of the toughest blanks i have seen friend that was wrapping rods in webbers falls oklahoma had one in there one day guy asked him how tough they were he slaped the blank on the seament slab in his shop an said is that tough enough... if u wanna spend a lil more money u cant go wrong with a lamiglass blank hope this helps some

3. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have built several cat rods on Rainshadow blanks. Look at their swb blanks.

4. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    The rainshadow blanks sound really good , ive already bilt a rod on the lamaglass blanks and "really!" dont like the blank gave me a bad opinion of Lamaglass the rod just wasent what they said it was , was to soft for a supposidly fast blank.. Im not familure with the gator blanks ill check them out thanks guys...
    Puddle...:wink:

5. catchandfillet

catchandfillet New Member

State:
    mo
    I would check out catfishsafari.com before u build a rod they have several rod actions to choose from ,ask about the river catfishing rod that will easily handle 8 ounce to 20 ounce sinkers im sure its just what your looking for they have a online tackle shop so you can see all the rods and prices around 79 $$$ dollars with super stainless steel eyes and cord grips very good rods:wink:. also lake , flathead and channel cat rods.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Try the Sumo blanks:smile2: