what can i plant to feed my ducks?????

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by ronnie joe, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ronnie joe

ronnie joe New Member

State:
    texas
    i need help with my 2 duck pounds!!! I cant get the ducks to stay... i want to know if there is anything i can put out ther or plant anything for next year??

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well check out pond sites and perhaps they will have advice for plants for food for ducks.

I really don't know that but if you want it pretty too, try some water lilies, water hyiacths (?), water irises,etc. Look under aquatic or water plants on the net for the ones that will work in your region.

Sorry I wasn't more help. Welcome to the BOC.

3. ronnie joe

ronnie joe New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks for the info....

4. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    if youre talking about tame farm ducks from the feed store then just toss out feed corn called "chops" on a daily basis and they will stick around no doubt but if you are talking about wild ducks you want to keep in your ponds year round then good luck. ducks are migratory by nature.

5. missed mallards

missed mallards New Member

State:
    Leland, MS
    if your hunting it then millet, milo, beans, rice, work great. Do you have water control? is it a fishing pond to or mainly hunting? millet would be my first choice followed by milo.

6. ronnie joe

ronnie joe New Member

State:
    texas
    yes i have control over the water... it is just for hunting... where can i get seeds to plant it? i am going to plant it and thin i will cut it about 1 or 2 weeks before hunting nexts year........

7. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ron you will want the German ( R ) Strain . This will make alot of seed and the birds love it. I wouldnt cut it. yust plant it along the banks and right down along the water. Plant in June -August and it should make seed before first frost.

8. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    To really keep the ducks around if you have water control is to keep the water level in a slew about 12-24 inches deep. Dabblers like mallards love shallow water. Mossy Oak Biologic works great. You can get it at your local feed store. Some of the other natural stuff would be duck weed, duck potato, and cat-tails. Ducks will eat the roots of the cat-tails and it gives you good cover. You can get all this from a green house.