What Can I Do w/ A Sump Pump?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by H2O Mellon, Jul 21, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought a Sump Pump from Ace Handyman a month ago for $23. I thought it was a good deal & I guess it was. I bought it for my dad to use at our cabin to sit inside a 5 gallon bucket w/ holes in it & pump water from pur creek into out hand washing area. Well I didnt realize that the pump we have to do this with is no a Sump Pump. :confused2:

So what can I do w/ this thing? Is there anyway to use it like a pump for a bait tank? I got rid of my big tank becasue Jenny said it was cauing skeeters, but I might get another smaller one around 30 gallons or so.

I am just looking for a way to use this. I would sell it on EBay the shipping fees would be OUTRANGEOUS becasue it's so heavy.

Any ideas would be welcomed!

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    you got a basement?

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No :angry: I later realized thats what they are really used for. :confused2:

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    hmm i cant really think of anything else to use one for

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can stick the hose in your mouth and pump out some of that hot air:lol:

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Oh Jack...LOL...LOL

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

from the sound of Dinkbuster's post "don't drink the water" he may need it for those midnight "runs" pun intended LMAO

8. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    If it operates on a switch connected to the float like most you might be able to ajust the depth of the pump where it would cycle on an off by pumping the water out of a large tank into a smaller one elavated above it thus letting the water drain back at a slower rate than what is beening pumped so it would cycle an not run continues.Just a thought.
    Loop

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Thats great idea Loop.. You could then have the upper tank either a filtering tank or a "cooling" tank or both...

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good old american ingenuity Loop! Then ya can have uptown and downtown bait. LOL!

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bryan, I just might be able to help you oput brother, as you know the 100 year old celler I have is often wet, like wear waders to enter it kind of wet :eek:oooh: and Im looking to put in another sump pump, for 30 bucks Ill take it,
    Let me know

Salmonid

12. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Dig a small goldfish pond in your yard.. Maybe it could be used for a waterfall pump..:roll_eyes:

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay sounds good Mark. It's still in the box & everything. It was on clearance for $30 but then another 20% off, so I think it was $23. Just give me $20 & we'll call it a deal. :smile2:

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You can always make a water garden with it or water a garden if you have a stream nearby. I use one for cleaning out my spring box bait tank. The bait tank won't breed skeeters if you keep fish in it. The fish will eat the skeeter larve if the earator doesn't kill them. If it's not in use, just add a cup of bleach once a month and no more skeeters.