What Can I do to Improve Gas Milage?

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Flatheadhunter33, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Just got myself a Dodge 1500 quad cab with 4x4. I needed something to get to my favorite spots with. Had to get rid of my car to get it though (agreement I made with my wife). I knew that the gas issue was going to be a kick in the butt but DANG:crazy::crazy::crazy:!!! $50.00 bucks wont even get me half a tank these days! What do you guys do to improve your gas milage?

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have a 302 ford and $50 gets me to work and back twice. good thing i make $27.00 an hour + benifits. or it wouldnt be worth going. these days welfare lines will be longer than ones at the pump.

keep you air filter clean and change oil often and keep tires at there rated pressure. all these will help. just s few % but every dime these days helps.. keep tailgate up and keep the foot lightly on the pedal. driving 60 and under is the most effiecnt way to save gas.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    All of Jeremy's advice there is very good. I used to put the tailgate down for highway trips thinking it would generate less drag that way, but recently read some stuff where the wind tunnel tests had proven the opposite - the tailgate up is more efficient. Another thing that would help is a tonneau cover or a good fitting cab height camper shell.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    cats4uandme hit the nail on the head. The gimmicks everyone is trying to sell dont work! Slowing down has got to be one of the best things you can do to improve MPG. The engine turns less RPMs and there is less wind resistance. Drive 55mph instead of 65. Thats why many states have 55mph limits anyway. When gas was being rationed way back when, they found that anything over 55mph really cut mpg. Another thing you can do is to think ahead. If there's a stop light way up yonder, you can slow down and coast until its green instead of coming up to it and slamming on the breaks. Most of your vehicle's energy is used getting from 0-10mph (i read this somewheres, but dont remember where). Dont tailgate where you hafta slam on the breaks all the time. Everytime you hit the breaks you're losing momentum. Also use the cruise control (if you have it, i sure wish i did)....the computer can regulate the speed better than you can, eliminating a lot of speeding up and slowing down. Hope this helps

5. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Get a bike:big_smile:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's already been stated that coasting to a stop will help your mileage, but take that even further. Pretend that you have an egg under your foot when stepping on the gas or the brakes. Fast acceleration is the enemy of good mpg. If you know that you are going to need to be in the next lane 1/2 mile ahead, look for a spot to move over ASAP without changing your speed. Waiting till the last minute, then having to floor it to get into a spot will kill your mpg. Most of us know that driving a steady speed will help mpg, but what will help it even more is to not move the accelerator any more than absolutely necessary. That means slowing way down going up the hills, and speeding up going down, so common sense has to enter in here--you can't slow down too much or speed up too much, but you can do your best to hold accelerator movement to a minimum. Back in the 50s, my dad had a '55 Crown Vic with a police interceptor motor and auto transmission in it. Late one night, while taking a road trip, I decided to see just how great a mpg I could get with it, using regular gas. No traffic on the road, so I hit the top of some hills doing 25; but I got 20mpg! Unheard of in the late 50s. Later, I got a '55 with a straight shift with overdrive, and didn't get that good a mileage during normal driving. Of course, 'normal driving' didn't give a hoot about mpg, not with gas at 25-30 cents a gallon.
    One other thing. Don't mount your spare tire, or anything else, on the front of your truck. You wouldn't believe the wind resistance it causes. I bought a '68 Ford F250 4x4 in 1970, and got 16mpg on the road. I mounted my spare on the front, and my mileage dropped to 12mpg. Took that sucker right back off!

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hey guy,
    I would buy a 4x4 mini truck that gets 20 to 25 mpg? then get a yaris. I bought a yaris for my wife and she gets 42 mpg, NO KIDDING.

You can get a mini truck thats not really legal for road use, If they made it legai I buy one today. It gets 50 to 60 mpg. Some states allow it on scondary roads as a farm truck. They cost about $4,500,00 to $5,000.00.

I have a S10 4x4 and it gets from 17 to 20 depending on speed and towing.

I hear you but its no way I could afford a big or regular pick up at $3.40 plus
    a gallon gas.

I would by a mini truck from japan if they allowed it to be used on highways.

Japanese Mini Trucks

[​IMG]
    Japanese Mini Trucks in conjunction with FTC Inc. is pleased to offer used Japanese mini trucks from the following manufacturers:

Subaru Sambar Suzuki Carry Honda Acty
    Mazda Scrum
    Mitsubishi Minicab
    Daihatsu Hi jet

These used Japanese mini trucks typically share the following specifications:
    • Japanese mini trucks for non hi-way use only in the United States​
    • Principally constructed between the years of 1989-1996​
    • Engines are 550cc to 660cc, liquid cooled, 2, 3 or 4 cylinder gasoline, 40 MPG ​
    • Four or five speed manual gear transmission, LOW/HIGH range
    • 4x4, 12" tires, aftermarket tires available ​
    • Some with differential lock or axle lock​
    • Ten feet long, Five feet high and Four feet wide​
    • 4' x 6' rear bed with folding sides, some available with dumps ​
    • Bed capacity, ~ 880lbs​
    • Weight ~ 1800lbs​
    • Full instrumentation - electric, oil, temp, etc​
    • Heat, defrost, wipers and headlight all standard, some with A/C ​
    [​IMG]While Japanese "Kei" class trucks are by nature very similar there are some slight differences between brands.
    • Suzuki/Mitsubishi have slightly more ground clearance.
    • Daihatsu/Honda have a slightly softer ride.
    • Subaru is the only type with a rear mounted engine.
    General Overview

Japan has been a leading manufacturer of fuel efficient, reliable vehicles since before 1970. The Japanese 4x4 mini truck are a logical extension of that technology, now available to meet the growing challenges of the US market. The hauling capacity combined with the 4x4 makes these a very inexpensive alternative to larger trucks or utility vehicles. Combined with comfort, security and weather protection of the cabs, for people and sensitive gear, these units fill the needs of many for a small investment. The uses for this unique 4wd Japanese mini truck range from:​
    • Hunting, fishing or outdoor activities ​
    • Golf courses, parks and zoos​
    • Campgrounds and Marinas​
    • Corporate and University campuses​
    • Manufacturing and maintenance yards​
    • Airports and hangers​
    • Farms of all types​
    [​IMG]Importation and Availability

FTC Inc.has a longstanding relationship with only the finest Japanese used equipment exporters. FTC Inc. is one of the largest importers of used Japanese mini trucks in the nation. With this buying power combined with the long relationship, Japanese Mini Trucks.com can offer undoubtedly the finest and best selection of used Japanese mini trucks available. Whether you want just one for personal use or a entire container, Japanese Mini Trucks' prices, selection and quality cannot be beat. Period. ​
    Dealers Welcome

call or E Mail

434-634-3746 ​

[​IMG]Japanese Mini Trucks.com through its partner FTC Inc. can provide container lots of used Japanese mini trucks. Our Companies are U.S. Customs Bonded, Licensed and Insured. As a potential dealer/client, you will be provided with dealer references as well as contact information for both banking and the import/export agent for our Company. Put our contacts, experience and ability to work for you in this lucrative and exciting business.
    Dealer Inquiries

Availability of Parts

We have many typical and hard to find Mini Truck parts in stock and available!​
    Call Dave Faison 434-634-3746 or email him with your parts specifications
    For more Mini Truck information and direct sales call
    434-634-3746
    or e-mail us!
    Japanese Mini Trucks.com
    Here are links to our favorite webs:

tractorbynet.com

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Other small things include parking in the shade to slow down evaporation, not squeezing the fuel pump all the way when you fill up to make sure you are getting what you pay for and maintenece.Bad filters, oxygen sensors or spark plugs mean terrible mileage.Another BIG thing may be hard for you in Arizona but dont use the air conditioner.Its hard on the engine and robs your wallet.A topper is a great idea too as it can also help deter theft, which is all to common these days.

9. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    a cold air intake kit and a more free flowing exhaust can help quite a bit.

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    If by "bike" you mean motorcycle, I already tried to get the boss to buy off on that one. When I told her I was gonna get one, she just gave me that look:misdoubt:...then said "okay...just get it". Dang I wish that I was too stupid to know what that look meant:big_smile_2:. So now I got myself a truck and soon I will try to work my way into a boat:big_smile_2::big_smile_2:.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    do like i do fish as close to home as possible except for special trips like gatherings and trips where im staying 2 or 3 days.

12. cowboyd

cowboyd New Member

State:
    il
    I think you have gotten a lot of good sound advice so I won't repeat any of it. One new thought you might consider is adding a chip for better milage to your cars computer. I don't know how old it is but if it is reasonable new the comp is controlling lots of the engine functions already. I know they are not exactly cheep but heck if you can find one that meets your needs and saves you even 10-15% it doesn't take long to pay off whatever they cost at these gas prices!

13. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I gave up on the gas prices and added a sail:smile2:

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    here are a few quick and farily inexpensive things you can do to improve your gas mileage.

1. get a K&N air filter for your truck. they make them that replace your regular air filter and will fit into the stock unit no problem. this will help a little bit.
    2. use a fuel system treatment and gas treatment. they are 3 buck a bottle, but they do help.
    3. you can change your exhaust, which will help it breathe better. put some good flowmasters on will make it sound better and increase your fuel mileage.
    4. check your plugs and plug wires. the better plugs you have, the better gas mileage you will get.
    5. you can get a chip reprogrammer and they do help, but they can be expensive. at least 200 bucks.

the only thing on here that is expensive is the exhaust. it does help. i would not go with the cold air intake, out here they are useless. the air temps out here starting in april and lasting through late october are on the 100's so it wont help much. good luck and if you need any help let me know. i am right down the road.

15. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've been wanting to upgrade to a full size v8 truck lately because my little 05 2wd ranger isn't much for hauling the boat everywhere. I've decided though that I owe right around $5300 on my little truck and will just hold off till I can pay it off and then keep it forever. Then I can buy something that sucks the fuel and not worry about fuel all the time, just when I want to go goofing around or haul the boat.

These gas prices are just flat ate up and the lowering value of the dollar sure as heck don't help matters none either. :angry:

16. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    In my experience these items do not help. 9 times out of 10 these hurt performance. You wanna see if the cold air intake made a difference, you run it a little harder for that "seat of the pants" dyno run. You put a free flowing exhaust on, but then you like to hear it, so you are on the go pedal more cause you like the sound :big_smile: . Didn't work for me.

I also dont care for the free flowing intake stuff. if its letting in that much more air, its my belief that its letting in that much more dirt too, not to mention the k&n can easily cause problems if you over oil them...which is easy to do. But these are just my opinions, and some people swear by them. I know a few people that get over 200,000 miles out of vehicles with nothing but stock filters, so its my opinion that this is a better option, just keep it clean.

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    All exellent tips. Heres one I read here. Fuel up in the morning when its cool and set the nozzle on slow pump. You will get a higher % of gas in your tank. Also, forget about those people that ride ya like a 10 items or less at a wal-mart, let them pass ya.

18. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i totally disagree with you. if you put on an intake and free flowing exhaust and dont get better gas mileage, then you are not doing something right. think about it like this. try running 3 miles breathing through a piece of paper. not very easy and you are going to have a horrible time of it. not remove the paperand use a piece of cloth. still not getting dust in there, but you are able to breathe alot better. same thing with air filters. better plugs will burn hotter, thus burning off your fuel more efficiently, in turn not making your engine work as hard for the same amount of power. and if you didnt get better power and mileage out of these upgrades, why would nascar drivers use them?

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have a 2004 Chevy Crew Cab 4x4 2500-HD and get 18+ MPG local and 21+ on trips and even 12+ hauling and towing this.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Okanagan 811-SL/Novtrip002.jpg
    I started out looking for a small truck. But did not like the ride or no room.So Bought one that gets great MPG and rides good and allows me to haul our camper and pull the boat at the same time.
    Your millage may vary.
    Pete

20. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    need help on traps