What can be done

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by r ward, Jul 22, 2006.

1. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    We have got a problem in Ga from what I understand the Ga dnr has been shocking certain rivers in the state to thin out the cats to help the panfish catching maybe they have forgot that we buy our fishing license like all the rest and have a right to go for what we want not have it thinned out artificially by the state what can we do does ayone have an idea

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah start fishing commercialy ,then sue the state for infringing on yer rights to make a living off catfishing :lol: :roll_eyes:

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    That just dont seem right at all to want a thin out any fish that is natural to the waters in an area. Unless maybe over population, ( I dont see that in cats ) and they be eating other natural species of the area and there's just not enough food in water then they would need to restock the food.( Panfish. ) Or In that case, up the limit on keepers so families can eat em. while food restocks itself. That's if there is no warning on eating catfish in your area due to pollution. What is yalls limit on keepers and can ya eat em.
    If they are trying to over stock with panfish to thin out cats, dont they know cats eat panfish, you might start having huge cats, maybe even more of em . Could back fire on em. and you end up with a good fishing hole. Let em feed the cats. LOL.

We got plenty cats and panfish in my lake, I wish they would put more. :cool2:

Anyway, I sure hope they dont ruin your catfish. Email you states fish and game Dept and ask what the deal is, let em know how you feel about it.

4. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Check out the Georgia DNR website under fishing for flatheads on the Altamaha river. There is a report from a two day shocking program that took place 3 years ago from the Rayonier Mill at Jesup GA. down stream. I read it, and was "shocked" pardon the pun, to see the results. Read them , and decide for youself if in fact they are overpopulated. I don't know if they have suspended the program completely or IMO they are going to try to keep them from spreading up the rivers in areas they are not native to. They might just forget the Altamaha, and focus their resources on the Satilla, which is one of the best redbreast fisheries in the south, with the exception of the area that the flatheads were introduced. If you can't find it, send a pm, I'll look up the site for you. The numbers were mind boggling to me. Good fishin', Jack.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have only heard of the shocking and removal of the Exotic illegally introduced species that is decimating our native species? Now I don;t know the answers,but I do know that people are illegally introducing species that they like in our waters through out this country.Many times these new species decimate many of the native species.It seems like a pretty selfish self centered attitude and a highly illegal practice.So far I have not been able to find anything on the shocking and removal of any catfish other than these Exotic illegally introduced species that have been decimating our native fish.What are they doing that we don;t know about? That would make them no better than the people that introduced the Exotics and destroyed our native fish.Something is very wrong if they are deliberately destroying our hard pressed native species.Please let us know your sources,so others can get involved.Once our native fish are gone,all we have are the foreign fish.peewee-williams

6. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sorry guys. I can't find the site I was looking for. The site that is up now says they did "samplings" to determine the population of flatheads, and the fish were released unharmed. I got the full report somewhere giving th total numbers of hours spent, number of fish produced per hour, and total weight. I know the total weight for the two day "sampling" at the Rayonier Mill area was posted at over 9,000 pounds. The report stated that there were so many in some areas it was hard to believe anything else lived there. They didn't get them all either, they were so busy dipping them up, some were getting away. So, there is really no telling how many total pounds they brought up. Someone check with the DNR , and see if they are instituing a removal program, or are they just going to shock them up for counts. I can't say for sure now since this is not the report I read, but I'll look around some more.... Good fishin', Jack. ( georgia wildlife.dnr.state.ga.us)

7. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    That sounds like a bunch of crap.. Who would rather catch a 6 oz. panfish than a 10 pound cat..lol

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Amen to that on many things.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A panfisherman.
    Not everyone catfishes. I've seen first hand what flatheads do to good panfishing. We dont float the Neuse anymore for Robin.
    There has to be a balance in any ecosystem and any fisherman whatever the species he goes after should be on the band wagon to find the balance without disregard to other fishermen who may not target the species they do.

10. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Couldn't of said it better myself.....

-Red

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Makes sense to some.We got Carp taking over in areas because some would rather have them than a 6 oz.pan fish,a 100 lb.cat or 25 lb.Bass.You are always going to have the me,myself and I crowd with us.What I want everyone else should be satisfied with people.I did not realize this post was condoning and fighting for a illegally introduced Exotic species.Ain;t my style no matter how much I like them.I don;t gamble with my grandchildrens legacy. Ain;t my problem.I am going to leave it with the rest of you.peewee-williams

12. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    From what I have read on the subject, the flathead was illegally introduced in both the Altamaha, and Satilla, where they are not a native fish. In the 1970's people started catching flatheads from the Oconee, and thats where the shocking program started for them.. They were found in the Altamaha in the 80's, and in the Satilla during a sampling in1996. I know they do plan to keep the population under control as much as possible in the Satilla, except for the lower areas around the tide water. It is hard to speculate about the Altamaha. Because of it's width in some places, it makes it hard to sucessfully remove all from an area. Maybe they will leave it up to us to help keep the numbers down thru fishing. The redbreast down here are caught in the pound and a quarter range down, with some going a pound, and a half. They are getting hard to catch for bait now in some areas. With the popularity of the Catfish festival at Jesup, and sport fishing for the big cats in the Altamaha, maybe the program will be suspended. I guess only those in charge of the fisheries division know for sure. Good fishin' Jack.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Peewee I'm with you and gonna stay out of this one.

14. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    If my post has offended anyone, it was not intentional. I also don't believe they will ever remove all the flats from either river even if they tried. It would be very cost prohibitive these days, at a time when the DNR budgets are being slashed. I don't know on which side the DNR is going on this issue. We need fresh input as to where they are at regarding this program, and it's future from the top dogs at the DNR. They are the ones who make the determination as to how much, and what goes on where. As much as I like to fish for the flats, I can fish for channels, and blues too if it were to come to that. That's all I got to say about that. Good fishin', Jack.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've heard all the whining from flatheaders that the state is trying to eradicate the flathead from the Cape Fear.
    It would be an impossible feat requiring the killing of every fish for 220 miles of river and all the creeks and rivers in the Cape Fear river basin.
    If it were a lake I could see an attempt, but not a river.

The only other way would be a bounty on flatheads but you know as well as I do between PETA and the state's goal not to put money in the pocket of it's over burdened tax payers that aint gonna happen either.

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    After reading the leading thread,I thought it meant that Georgia was eliminating ALL CATFISH for Redbreast or scale fish some where.I have stated in earlier post that I do not know enough about Flatheads and the Altamaha river system to judge it in any manner.I am against the introduction of any exotic species of any type without extensive research.Scientist with their Governments approvals have given us Killer Bees,Kudzu,Crotalaria and Bamboo thickets,just to name a few.Just recently Government sponsored SCIENTIST and EXPERTS have destroyed approximately half of the adult endangered fish that they were "saving".Now it was not their fault as they had no way of expecting it to rain or have flash floods in the desert,tho it has been documented as long as man has records.You also can not expect a group of scientist to go out and get wet just to save a bunch of endangered fish that they TRAPPED and ABANDONED until it quit raining.After all,you can not possibly expect them to ruin their hair or makeup.Why get wet,when you are paid the same for staying dry and letting the fish die?What do us stupid taxpayers expect?Yea! We got exactly what we expected.We had a lot more of those rare fish before the government got involved.The solution will be to send these people more MONEY as always.I look for no better on the Altamaha.peewee-williams.

17. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pee Wee is right. When I lived in Warner Robins there was a lot of concern about non-native flatheads reducing the redear populations in the Ocmulgee river. It would be a shame to lose native fisheries to exotic flatheads.

18. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I may have misunderstood what I have seen I to thought they were after the flatheads if that is not the case then I was wrong and do apoligize for the whole mess that I accedently started .