What calls do you use?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by VerotiK, Oct 11, 2005.

1. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Just curious what everyone uses. I have a Primos "The Lil' Can" doe bleat (said to be for early season hunts), a Knight & Hale Grunt, and a Knight & Hale rattle bag. Anyone had any luck? Im setting up over a scrape this weekend that i found and im thinking about maybe trying to rattle a little.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've used the lil can with some success,my partner uses the grunt and rattles.We spread apart about 100 yards,seems to work well in that combination,he gets the bucks and I take the does(I'm a meat man)

3. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Im going out after work today and gonna try the can call and see how it works.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A friend of mine swears by the lil can call, but ive not had much luck with it.
    Unfortunately I seem to lose my deer calls every year and have to buy new ones. I still have my H.S. QuadGrunter Plus call from last year that didnt seem to work. I got a super small Primos Hands free buck and doe call this year. Last years buck came from just sitting and waiting, no calls no scents even though I love using them.

5. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Tried the call yesterday afternoon. Nothing happened. I bet it would work if there were doe's in earshot, but there wasn't, or they didnt care; one of the two. I had a 5-point come in on me, but that was after i had quit calling for about 1.5 hours.

6. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I use a variety of calls:

Knight and hale inhale/exhale grunt. The inhale/exhale is very iimportant bucks make noise when breathing in and out, so should your call.

I also use a set of fiberglass rattling antlers, I never cared for the bags much and the fiberglass send the sound ou further then real antlers.

For does I use a fawn in distress call. The call works great you will call a doe in and she will stay there. One tiem my partner shot at one three tiems and she refused to move as long as i was squeeling on that call, the only drawback is bears/cats will come in too looking for a free meal.

-Brian

7. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    My grunt is the inhale exhale. Its the first grunt i've had like that.

8. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I've tried both with little success. After an hour blowin on a call or using the can i begin to wonder if i scare them off. I use the call as directed and is used in some of the videos and nothing. I often wonder if they can tell the difference in the dummy in the stand makin funny noises. LOL

Now if its rattlin horns. Now that will definitely get there attention in a hurry if one of the dominant bucks in the area. Even does have came in on rattlin. I guess the curiousity got the best of them.

9. CATRIPPER

CATRIPPER New Member

I arrowed a doe October 8,and a 7 point OCTOBER 18.I am a PA deer hunter,the lil can ,rattling,primos still grunter set on young deer,and BOB KIRSHNER SCENTS are all in my bag of tricks.We have 4 more weeks of archery season left,the rut hasn't started yet.The 7 I shot was with a 6 and a 3 pointer.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Is it just me but when I do have success calling blindly its the young bucks that come in. On the other hand Ive had luck using scent with bigger bucks.
    Just wondering what everyone else has called in. BTW Ive tried rattling a few times but hasnt worked for me. But man it looks like fun when you see it on tv.

11. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I use a Flextone Doe Bleat I used to use the can but everytime im in the stand I drop it and then it doesnt work right. THis one has a lanured that goes around the neck so I cant drop it. It has already worked this year. I also use a true talker grunt call but very seldom and a rattle bag. The doe bleat is my favorite Ive had the grunt call bring them in and also more then not run them off. The doe bleat works the best for me until a buck grunts then I switch to the grunt to make them mad and usually that will bring them on in.