What Brands?

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Big M, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Big M

Big M New Member

State:
    Pa
    What brands/models of detectors do you all use, and what are your favorite things about that model? I have always used Garrett, and have the Ace 250, and the GTI 2500. Metal detecting and Fishing pretty much consume all of my free time in the outdoors.

2. Big M

Big M New Member

State:
    Pa
    I might add that I am brand new to this forum as of yesterday, and that I have been into the metal detecting hobby for going on six years.

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the site Big M!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike I use a White Spectrum XLT. It has done a good job for me.

5. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    Welcome,I use the Fisher 1265x and love it.
    Also have used Garett Deepseeker and groundhog.

6. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What do you think about your ACE 250? I am about to get one. I was told it is a good machine and a really great for noob's such as myself. I do a lot of arrowhead hunting while fishing and such so I figured why not toss in a MD and kill 3 birds with one stone LOL.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've had my garret gta 1000 for atleast 15 yrs. now and really like how easy it is to use, the only thing i've had to replace is those battery holders, last year for x-mas the wife got me a hand held pinpointer which is also a great help locating targets while digging

8. Big M

Big M New Member

State:
    Pa
    I feel that it is the most bang for the buck for someone that is not really sure if Metal Detecting is a hobby that they want to stick with, and also a good one to keep as a backup for a well seasoned detectorist. I bought the GTI 2500, first, and had it for over a year, and really got hooked on the hobby. I heard a lot of good about the 250, and when my dad decided to try one, three more of us decided to try one too. The 2500 kind of had me spoiled, with the whole imaging feature and a couple of other features, but it is a thousand dollar machine. The 250 is only one fourth of that, and has a lot of features that machines twice as much do not have. I use mine a lot, but not with the stock coil. I have a sniper, or "hockey puck" coil that I use on it when there is a lot of trash in the area I am hunting. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering getting into this hobby. Just my two cents!

9. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    welcome to the BOC thats something i always had an interest in metal detecting just never bought a dectector something always got in the way either no money or time i have been out with friends that have them yep a very interesting hobby

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    this year i'd like ta take mine on more walks, its hard ta find anything when it sits in the closet all the time:confused2:, i used to get old maps from the historical society and detect around old schools, playgrounds, old parks, and along tow paths along the river, old mills, and around old homes, alot of places have been picked over with a fine tooth comb, i have found that slowing down your aproach really helps :wink:, when i was younger i was too much in a rush and over looked alot of targets, now being a little older i'm not in any hurry

11. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I enjoy coin shooting... For that I use my white mxt. For beach hunting, if just fooling around I like the mxt in saltwater mode, but if I'm serious I like the minelab excal.

My favorite type of hunting is civil war.... 3 detectors in order of preferance: minelab excal (yeah really) the thing is heavy but it goes deep in the orange clay, Nautilus Dmc II b, and the white mxt is a great all around relic hunting machine.

My last really good find was a cannon ball. I researched an old civil war camp site near Florence and tried to find the dump for that site. I'm not sure I actually found it but I found some nice mini balls, a nice button and the cannon ball.

I've had just about every detector. Whites, fisher, garrett, minelab, nautilus, detector pro (owned the diver, and have a HH wader right now),
    and tesoro.

The best all around detector BY FAR is the whites mxt. Its the most versatile detector I've ever owned. Had a dfx for about 4 years, had a xlt for many years, and the mxt in MY opinion will out perform each detector in OVERALL conditions.

Take it for what its worth. My opinion. But I have detected since I was 6 years old and just turned 48 today. My first detector was a whites. And I've been hooked since then.

later...
    Pappy

12. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Detector Nerd reporting in.

Been using the 2500 for years, and love it.

Still have a scorpion gold stinger I used in Alaska for 3 years, it was rock solid.

I still remember the 1st mercury dime I pulled out of the ground in Alaska. Think one of the coolest finds was a Winchester casing stamped 1908. It was on a piece of high ground overlooking a natural water source.

Just looked like an old timer would have hunted meat from that spot.

4 minutes of shooting, plucked it right out. Was in good shape.

One of my detecting buds found a milk token, good for 1 free milk :)

Favorite spot is on the inside ring of high school tracks.

13. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Fisher F2, easy to learn and use.
    Welcome

14. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    I,m just checking in since its been so long since I have been here. I have a Whites MXT-A Whites Beach Hunter ID for the beach when I go to Charleston-And a Garrett Ace 250 for backup. I have been detecting on and off for 30 years and have enjoyed it a lot.

15. Shadowwalker

Shadowwalker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use the Whites spectrum xlt and love it <its a little pricey but well worth it

16. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've been treasure hunting since 1979 and have had a couple of Whites 6000s and a couple of Garrets.The last Garret was GTA 1000 and it was stolen.Now have an old whites with no frills but I think it goes as deep as any of the expensive ones I had and it was free.Treasure hunting about ruined my fishing for a few years I was finding so much stuff.I still have my detector with me everytime I go fishing.Sometimes I dont get any fishing done.

17. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Between bottle diggin and detecting it is a wonder you get any fishin in Ray....:smile2:
    I use a white MXT