What brand of whale tail?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by duckbuster, Sep 3, 2007.

1. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    After reading the thread on dole fins/whale tails in the "tips" forum I have decided to get one for my boat. Here's the question............which one is best for my boat? I have a 20' SeaArk with a 90hp Mercury and run the Mississippi river most of the time. Thanks.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What do you expect out of it, Terry? I use the doel fin on my 17' fiberglass semi-vee, with a 90 yamaha, and it helps me get on plane much easier, which is what I was after, since I fish quite a bit of skinny water near sandbars where I need to get a good holeshot. I can't see that I've gained or lost any appreciable top end speed, and the occasional porpoising that I had is pretty much gone, now. I would expect it to perform much the same way on your boat. :big_smile:

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have a similar question...I want to put a tail on my 9.8 Nissan, and I like the Doel-Fin, but it claims to fit all motors. Everything from my tiny 9.8, up to a 300hp behemouth? Just doesn't seem reasonable. Has anyone ever put one on so small a motor?

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I put one on a 60 horse.
    2 bolts through the cavitation plate on each fin.
    Piece of cake.

5. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Tommy,
    I was hoping to get on plane much faster, improve gas milage and improve overall handling of the boat.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'd sure give it a try, Terry. Don't hold me to it, but I think you will definitely get faster plane time, and maybe an improvement in fuel usage, if your boat is bogging down any at all. The doel fin doesn't cost an awful lot, so it won't be a huge investment.
    With that said, before you do anything, make sure your prop is sized correctly for you rig. Are you turning the rpm's that you should be? If so, the the doel fin will likely help. If you are turning low rpm's, the you may want to try a slightly smaller pitched prop first. :big_smile:

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I honestly don't think it matters what brand you get. I'm kinda cheap and I looked for about a year until I found some on clearance. :smile2: paid 20.00 for a 49.00 fin, can't remember the name off the top of my head. Theirs claims that this one is better than another but they all work on the same principle.

8. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Hey duck .I got a rig that goes under the prop on the scag ,It was designed to protect manatees . It has a 1/2 in thick PVC fin on each side and protects the prop from oysters and rocks It also gives lift like a dolfin.Ihave seen them in some fishing mags. mostly salt water stuff .
    I got mine from the inventor about 10 yrs ago .It works great.
    Bewell CR MULE