What brand of tiller motor?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by beakus, Dec 14, 2006.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i'm thinking of getting a 20-30 hp tiller motor for a 16-18ft jon and was wondering what was a good reliable brand any input?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I think I'd look at Evinrude, Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki or Honda, not necessarily in that order.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Just about all of the new engines are all great, I would suggest just going to see them and find the one with the best features that you like and price. I have a new 75hp merc 4 stroke and its awesome.

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    You have received some good advice. I bought a new 25HP Mercury tiller, electric start, 4 stroke for $2500 due to the fact it was was several years old but still in the box at the dealership (he had 3). You get the same factory warranty for whatever was applicable for that model year. This was due to it being a long shaft. If I were you I would "price check" any of the brands that have been recommended to you.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In the back of 'Outdoor Life' and 'Field and Stream' there is an outfit that advertises last years motors. I have bought 2 motors of of him over the years an 88 25 Evenrude and my 1999 Merc 90 hp. He has saved me a ton of money, about 2 thousand difference between local marineas and him on the 90. and no sales tax and maybe 80 dollars to ship, truck freight. He is a good old man out of NY on Long Island. If you call him this time of the year, your call will be forwarded to his Florida home. And then he will proceed to tell you how he needs your business as he is starveing to death. lol lol He reminds me of an old jew I used to know. One heck of an honest man with a line of BS. But he is the cheapest on motors. My next new one I will probably buy from him, as he is honest and fun to talk to.

I did just buy a 9.9 Mariner of of Ebay for a kicker motor and it is used. Got a fantastic deal though.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    ^^^I've dealt with that guy...like you, no complaints.:smile2:

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If I were you I would look at a little bigger motor. I know my 17ft is rated for 50 hp and I have a 25 on it. boat is slow. And also drinks gas. When I had the same motor on the 14 ft john boat. It would not burn any gas. Now it drinks it.
    Just a thought try to get a bigger motor then run it half open better on the motor and gas also.
    Have a great day.
    Pete

8. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I am also looking into buying a new outboard. Im leaning toward a honda. It weighs less than the others Ive looked at. Anybody got that mans email or phone number with the cheap motors?

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

10. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Yamaha!,Yamaha!,Yamaha!
    I'll never own anything else.My 40 tiller runs 32 mph on a 17' jon.

11. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have a 2004 Mercury 25 hp tiller. electric start. It is great, never had a problem with it. i would recomend it to anyone

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Benji, from what I gather Tohatsu and Nissan are one in the same. I have also heard from a marine mechanic that all Mercury outboards under 40HP are also built by them. They told me they could buy the motors from Nissan ready to go cheaper than they can build them themselves. Also said that Mercury figured that they were not able to build a more reliable motor, another reason to buy contracted ones. Vern

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have always got his deal out of the back of outdoor magazines. He has a marinea on Long Island, NY. Them adds used to cost about 200 an issue to run, so he must be selling a lot of motors.

14. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yamaha 25, 4 strk. never added any oil in two years...
    It sat wrapped outside during the winter in 10 below and it started right up in 2 secounds in may....