What brand of slugs

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by switchback, Sep 22, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Allright guys i live in Illinois and can only use shot guns with slugs, muzzle loaders and pistols for firearm season for deer. I have a muzzleloader and love it but i am buying a new slug gun and was wandering what type of slugs you all like and would endorse. I used to shoot winchester partition golds when i would borrow my brothers slug gun, needless to say things have only gotten better. So lets hear it what do you guys suggest and shoot through your guns?

2. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    My buddies really like Hornady SST slugs. I use a muzzleloader for shotgun season but shoot the Hornady SST-ML through it. I'm a big fan of Hornady.

3. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    I use the Lee 1 oz mold for 12 gauge. I get very good accuracy out to 25 yards with my smoothbore. That's the greatest distance at which I've tried it. Using your new slug gun you should be good to go for very good accuracy at any reasonable distance.

If you load your own it becomes quite reasonable in cost to make enough to practice with.

4. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    My mossberg likes the 2 3/4" lightfields and I'm trying the hastings slugs in my hastings barrel on my rem 870 for the first time. I sight everything in at 50 yards and fire at 100 yards to see where they are hitting.

5. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My dad has one of those lee slug molds i wandered how they worked. One of my buddies has an HandR slugster in 20 gauge it loves those sst by hornady. He can kill deer at 200 yards with it easy. As far as the Savage 210f that i plan on getting from what i hear at the local gunshop 200 yards is cake for just about any name brand slug, but I want to hear it from my brothers in the BOC on what slugs perform well.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Remington's Premier Copper Solid 1-ounce sabot slugs at 100 yards is 1,364 ft/lbs. The retained energy of a traditional lever-action's 170-grain soft-nose .30-30 bullet at the same distance is actually 9 ft/lbs less!

7. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A lot is going to depend on if your barrel is rifled, smooth or rifled choke. Your best bet is to try shooting a few different brands out of whatever you buy and check the groups. You may find a one is terrible and another is excellent.

8. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The gun i am getting has a rifled barrel.

9. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Someone, Saw the add on TV bit do not remember the name, is making all of there slugs to hit the same point of impact at 100 or 150 yds. The idea was to sight in with there cheaper loads and know you are going to hit the same place with the better slugs. Someone may remember who it is????

10. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I shoot Hornady sst`s but I would try several different brands to see what the shotgun likes.

11. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I use the federal Premium Slugs with the Barnes Xpander slugs. They have great knock down power and they leave a really good blood trail if they have to be tracked. I have taken shots at 100+ yards with great results. Most of my shots are actually 70 yards or less and they usually hit the ground within 50 yards if not on impact. The most important thing to remember is that you need to find the slug that fits best with your gun and you. I have friends that really go over the edge and shoot 3 and 3 1/2 inch magnums and I have better results than they do. Remington copper solids are great as are the Hornady SST's but they might not shoot well in your gun. Also, since you have a rifled barrel, I would recommend that you do not shoot rifled slugs from it. Seems to lead up the barrel allot. Beneke makes great slugs also.