What Brand of GPS

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kennylee, Dec 10, 2008.

1. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I'm looking to buy a hand held GPS unit to use in the woods. I know a lot of you guys hunt big woods and mountains, what your opinon on the best GPS for the dollar?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi, I have a Magellan 315,, It's a good unit, but, I think I'd like one that was easier to learn,, Part of the problem, is I don't practice enough with it.
    Not familiar with any others..and, mine is several years old.

My advice, and I plan on this myself,, is go to Cabelas or somewhere like that, and have the people there give me some tips on operation and features...

I mainly use mine to mark camp or truck, when I'm in the field, and mark kill location. That has been a real time and energy saver in the field..

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    There is only one word when it comes to brand name and GPS. GARMIN! They have the best user interface out there.

4. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I use a Magellan Explorist 400. I've used it on the river in my boat to navigate in the dark to using it in the rocky mountains. It's a great unit with lots of features. At first it wasn't user friendly but after some 'tinkering' with it I figured it out. I also use mine to travel. Just put in an address and the software will take you there! Good luck!

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I love my Garmin....but i'm sure any of the brand name GPS units are good these days. I use mine fishing more than anything. Drift fishing the rivers here for Rockfish and Croakers I hit a waypoint when i start getting fish on....then you can go back and drift across that spot again. Kinda like the "man overboard" feature on larger boat-only units.

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use the Magellan -- eXplorist 200-- bough it from wal mart for 100 bucks. I like it. although its far from top of the line and I cant load maps on it. It will let me track my course, mark key points, gives good elevations and compass. I also have used it to mark and navigate at night in my boat last year a few times. you get what you pay for but you dont need the top of the line for what most of use on here would ever use one for.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the infro guys I thinking about geting one myself:big_smile:

8. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've used the basic Garmin Etrex for the past few years and remain very happy with it. First, it's relatively cheap at around $100.00, and second, it's pretty easy to use. I get good satellite coverage where I hunt (the mountains of SW VA) and often use it to find good tree stand locations and to backtrack out of the woods. The only times I've had inconsistent satellite coverage has been during early bow season when there were still leaves on trees combined with a very cloudy day. Good luck.

Mike

9. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I use the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. I really like the unit. I use it for both on and off road and best of all, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to operate. I hope this helps!

Here is a link to the unit:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8701

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Geocaching Talk

The above link will have more info about hand held GPS

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I do not use a GPS for hunting I have never seen the need. I was fortunate
    enough to be taught the proper way to use a compass and topo map when
    I was a young boy. My Grandpaw was a coon hunter and they motivate
    in strange woods in the dark, they know how to read a compass or they
    spend a long cold night in the woods. I am really thinking about getting
    a GPS for fishing so I can return to deep structure I find on my depth finder.

12. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree with Poppa. I'd never rely on mine as a compass because batteries can run down, you can lose satellite contact, or any number of other things could cause it to malfunction. I carry of good quality compass for general wayfinding, but nothing beats scouting the land you hunt and getting familiar with the ridges, creek bottoms, and all other landmarks. Like Poppa says, I do use mine when fishing to mark the general areas where I've found good holes.

Mike

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I guess the best depends on the use, and how much u can afford to pay. I use a Garmin vista, I'd recommend a color model as the batteries last longer. I like the Mapsource program that came with it, and plugging it in to the computer to upload and download stuff.

I use the thing as a speedometer when driving because sometimes my speedometer locks up, and also use the Mapsource program to plan cross country trips and find short or fast routes. The GPS lets me know my average speed, stops, moving time, stopped time, etc. Its not essential but can be a useful toy. Sure uses lots of batteries, especially when its cold.

14. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Garman is what I use, easy to use and very good!:big_smile:

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've had a Garmin Legend C for a couple years. I'm still trying to figure out how to use it. The main thing I don't like about it is that the compass only works when you are moving.