What brand of fillet knives are the best

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by wishiwasfishin, Apr 23, 2006.

1. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i was just reading about the manual or electric fillet knifes thread on here and i was afraid if i posted this in there it might high jack the post so i'll just make a new one:)
    what brand of fillet knifes are good one i have a couple of them but they don't hold a edge but for about 2 fish i was thinking there has to be something better:)

2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ive had everything from a $30 buck to a $4 taiwan special lol. IMHO Rapala filet knives are hard to beat.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same here. you just cant beat Rapala's! ive had one now for 15 years, just have to sharpen it every year. be carefull with a new one, those things are sharper than a lazer. i use the steel filet gloves, they are great for not cutting yourself.

4. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Gerber fillet knife for the kitchen and Gerber bolt action fillet knife.

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I got a Buck folding fillet knife back several years ago and it is a dandy. I use an electric knife for fish but I use that Buck when I work up a deer and it is easy to sharpen and it holds an edge real good.

ST

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Kershaw makes a real good filet knife and it is easy to sharpen and holds an edge very well.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Rapala. Rapala. Hope thats 15 characters.

8. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    When I lived in Florida, I noticed a lot of guides and fishermen using a white handled knife. I started asking questions and bought my first of two Dexter-Russell filet knives. Still have both and added a couple of butcher knives to the collection.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a well worn wooden handle Rapala that I believe I bought overseas 40+ years ago.It is still a great flexible filleting knife,though the blade has been greatly reduced by time through sharpening.I have many knives.Some of the best are OLD,made from Cross Cut and even hand Pit Saw blades.It seems to hold it,s edge with the best.I also have a modern (made in china) stainless steel that is flexible,holds a edge and can be put into the dish washer.Times have changed.peewee-williams

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im gonna have to say Rapala, Ive got three but only have used one. The blade is easy to sharpen and stays that way. Its wore out three of those ceramic sharpeners over the years.

11. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i got one of the ceramic sharpeners but i'm thinking it's just a cheap knife or well both of them are cheap.it just sucks having to stop in the middle and having to resharpen

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I FORSCHNER - VICTORINOX (stainless steel)
    This is the best fillet knife I have ever seen.
    It keeps an edge. It has just the right flex in the blade, not to stiff and not to springy, a good knife has to have some give.The handle material is non-porous, yet it grips very well, even with a wet hand. And the knife has the stamp of the NSF (national sanitation foundation) If cat fishermen really care about that, lol

13. ShovelHead

ShovelHead New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would say that you need a Rapala filet knife. What ever you go with here is the best advise i can give you. #1-stay away from surgical steel in any knife. It sharpens easily but will not hold an edge because it is not tempered enough nor was it intended to. #2- an HY120 or higher steel is my preference but it gets a little costly. It is worth it in the long run. It's a little harder to sharpen but it will hold an edge till your grandkids are using it! #3-be careful and do not cut yourself. I say that because I have lost a few battles and have the scars to prove it. Hope this helps someone.

14. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If anyone finds a birch handled rapala fillet knife with LES carved in the handle i would like it back . I bought the knife in 1976 used it until 1993.then some sob stoled it. The new ones Don't stand up as well. I now have a buck, case, normark, and new rapala that edges have literaly fallen off of. I buy 2 0r 3 cheap knifes at a time. I do know how to sharpen a knife. the new knifes are made of japanise steal. My advise find an old rapala and buy it. Iam still looking for one , good luck.catch ya later.

15. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
  16. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Rapala gets my vote! Had a 6" for 20 years, lost it overboard cause the wooden handle was water-logged. Got a folding rapala now that works great.

17. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I was looking for a cheap electric fillet knife a few years back and bought a Mister Twister. It is bright green and I love it! My dad has a nice rapala and i would take mine any day. I am only on my second set of knives (i picked up replacements for 3 bucks, for that price i won;t worry about sharpening). And i saw at Wal-Mart the other day they have the knife on sale for 14.99. I bought one for my dad for fathers day but i might just keep it and buy him some bobbers! :)

18. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Rapala 6 or 7" regularo ld school fillet knife works well but i just suck at filleting lol... but it has always done its job correct no problems
    joe

19. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Well I guess ive been cutting meat now for a living almost 40 years. and I think im a perty good judge of blades, the best all around knife for the money would have to bee the rapla it stays sharp and has good steel in it. I always use a tri stone to sharpen all my knives as a electric stone will take the temper out and it will not hold an edge as long. good fishing!!! Bigcatman0816.

20. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've got a wooden handled knife that I thought was made by LES. Come to find out, it's a Rapala afterall!!!:p