What brand and circle hook size do you use

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Big Sam, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Hey all i wanted to know from all that use circle hooks what brand and hook size do you use that has produced the best results. Circle hooks are near non-exsistance around these parts in the tackle stores so i must order them on-line. Trying to save a "little" money here!:eek:oooh: We all know the fortune we spend on tackle. I appreciate all that respond and thanks for your help.:big_smile:

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Sam,
    I recently switched from Gamakatsu octopus circles to Team Catfish double action circle hooks, in 8/0. I feel the team catfish hooks are Far superior to the gamas as My hook up rate has gone Way up.

You can get these through Steve Brown (catfishsafari on the BOC)

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Sam, I like the Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus circle hooks, I've gotten good results with them.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've been using Eagle Claw but I wouldn't buy them to be honest. The eyes have a bad gap where your line can get cut...and does. I snell or palomar knot them but keep the line away from the gap the best I can. They are a strong and sharp hook but that darn gap.... And buying them on-line you cant look at there first, that's what I do. I also have a hard time finding circle hooks around here and that's why I'm stuck with the Eagle Claws a lot. The size I want are 5/0 but only found 4/0 this last trip. Anything smaller wont leave you enough hook if you use a mid-size cut or live bait. So depending on what size bait you use affects the size hook you use. The 4/0 I'm using atm works all around pretty good. I want bigger hooks in my box for the crappie heads and larger bait like that Some of these guys fish with the biggest baits and use 8/0 or even 10/0. To be honest I would pick out two sizes if your buying a lot of hooks. That way your covered on all bait type and situations.

Here is a pic of a channel cat I got a few days ago using a Eagle Claw 4/ Circle hook. Hope this helps ya -Jim-

http://imageigloo.com/images/9911100_1502.jpg

5. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Do you guys buy the kind with the eye bent or the kind that has the eye straight ? I found some bent ones here but they want over $4 for 5 hooks. Oh and that pic was either the 10lb or a 2lb, I cant tell what fish I took the pic of with a hook in his mouth, LOL.

6. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've been using the Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus circle hooks great hooks, but I recently bought some Matzuo Octopus Sickle Hooks from Gene with Wild Wolf Products in 7/0 haven't got to use them yet, but these have to be the sharpest hooks on the market. Definitely worth checking into Sam.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If you want to use circles spend the money and get the best. If you get anything else then that your going to have problems. I have used them all from VMC to mustad. By far the best 2 are gamakatsu and Team Catfish double action circles. The gama's have an octopus eye and the double actions have a straight eye. If you ask me it does not matter. If you want the best circle you can get go ahead and get a hold of Steve Brown (catfish safari). Thats one of the very few places I know you can get the double action hooks. Size 5 and size 8 are the sizes to use. The 8's are bigger then the gama 8's.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Far as size it depends on the situation and species I am after. Brand I prefer Gamakatsu if I have to Eagle Claw as sometimes its all they have.

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Thanks for the input:big_smile: Come on folks let me hear from everyone on this ....PLEASE.:smile2::tounge_out:

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i use gamakatsu nautilus circle hooks i like the short shank try them you cant beleve the diference a strate shank will do for hookup rates.

11. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    In my opinion, the Gamakatsu octopus circle in size 8/0 is probably the best hook for the money, and you can get them with a straight eye or a bent eye (the one's with a bent eye are great for snelling). However, If money isn't an issue, I would have a Daiichi circle chunk light size 7/0 on every pole. The gap on this hook is larger than most 8/0's and it is probably my favorite hook overall. But, if I'm using a huge bait, then it goes on an Eagle Claw wide gap circle sea in size 10/0. This is a thick, strong hook with a big gap that is good for going after monster fish with big baits. I've tried lots of circles from different brands, and these are the three I use most. It really comes down to how much money you want to spend and what size fish you are after. Good luck fishin'.

12. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
  13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive been using the 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks for over 4 years and they perform very good. My other favorite is the Daiichi 7/0 Circle chunk light hook.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i usually use the oct. circle (bent eye) because snellings easy. ive noticed with ec the straight eye some times will have a small gap like mentioned but not always, kind of varrys from pack to pack. the oct. circles dont seem to have this problem. the ec and gammas oct circles have the same size shape and gap both are great hooks, the ec are just not always as sharp though. i got a box of 50 circle sea or red circle (either l8197f or l197f) from cabelas for $11 that were pretty sharp and the seaguard prevents rust. avoid the circle seas (silver) from walmart they arent verry sharp and dont stay that way. i bought a couple hundred bulk oct. circles off ebay a while back for a good price. pretty good quality sharp and i havent broke one i may have bent one but i dont think i have, been using them for too long to rember. you may not want to gamble on e bay though their may be som bad ones out their. i can try to find were i got mine if interested. matzuo hooks are verry sharp and are on my list of hooks to try. done rambling:embarassed:

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    oh i guess you asked size to usually 7/0-8/0 is a good average size but i have some bigger and smaller

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Do you have a link to these hooks, please. Thanks.

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have matzuo in size 8 & 6.

18. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    You can contact Steve Brown via PM on the BOC here is a link to His profile and contact info
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/member.php?u=15380

Steve is currently working on an on-line tackle shop with a lot of top notch catfishing gear. I'm very excited to see Steve get this project off the ground as it will be one stop shopping for the Catfisherman!

19. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Well Mr Catmatt, Actually with the double action circle hooks you can actually Set the hook with a conventional "cross thier eyes" action and still hook up, not just a slow sweeping action!

I wanna see you do that with a Gama!

circles or kahle hooks is largly a matter of opinion as both will catch fish.

BTW 100 days a year on the water isn't all that much. try averaging 3 times a week 52 weeks a year! But what do I know I'm just a dumb ole catfisherman from KC.

20. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Brad, can you post a pic I'd really like to see one. Thanks