What braid cuts guides

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jun 9, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IM STILL CURIOUS WHAT BRAIDS ACTUALLY CUT QUIDES

I MEAN IS IT CHEAP LINES LIKE CORTLAND OR IS IT ALL..... SPIDERWIRE CLAIMS NOT TO.....GORILLATOUGH HAS THE REPUTATION....

IF GORILLATOUGH DOES CUT CERAMIC GUIDES CAN YOU TELL ME CAUSE MY CUSIN HAS IT...

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    All braids are going to increase guide wear, some may be worse than others, and some may claim to not cause wear, but take it with a grain of salt. PowerPro for example claims to have a formulation that won't cause guide wear, but after several seasons of use, my rod tip developed a groove.

Some guides.. ceramic and solid stainless for example, are supposed to be more wear resistant, but a lot of "stainless" guides are only coated, with a softer metal inside.

But the wear is limited to the rod tip, which is really easy to replace. Just use a lighter to heat the tip up and soften the glue, then pull it off the rod with needle nose pliers. Get a stick of hot melt glue, trim off some small pieces and drop them into the new tip, heat with lighter to melt, and push it onto the rod. The hardest part is figuring out what size tip to get, but Cabelas sells a little plastic rod tip measuring gauge for a few bucks.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I agree with Gary all braid increases guide wear especially the tip. Heck with heavy use even mono will groove a cheaper SS tip.

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i think i made a good choice sticking to mono for now :smile2:

thanks guys ill tell him that!!!!!!!!!!

the rocks and stumps in the colorado river went through 20 lb fireline in 3 casts

after reeling in and looking at my spool it looked like a bunch of cotten :crazy:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I tried to rep you for the "tip" repair tip, Gary, but the icon said I had to spread my reps around some before I could give you more. Apparently I repped you recently, but I go through so many threads I can't remember.
    BB in SC

6. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    When you buy your next rod make sure it has high quality cut-resistant guides on it. A brand I use and really like are Fuji guides. Braid resistant guides are not cheap, but pay off in the long run. BTW I have no affiliation with Fuji or any other tackle company.

7. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    That's excellent advice about replacing your rod tip from time to time. It really is that easy. I would stay away from the cheap crafts store glue stick. They will soften in hot weather and shrink in cold weather. Next time you are in Academy or Cabelas they sell a hot glue stick formula for rod tips. Good stuff that does not let go.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
  9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Don't forget that 20# fireline is thin! When you are fishing heavy cover and rocks. You want a thicker Dia. like say maybe 80# braid which is about 20# mono Dia. Thats why mono works better in heavy cover the Dia. is thicker per pound test.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

is the guide wear only on the tip????

if so i can MAKE a guide out of stainless......i do alot of machine work so thats a cake walk for me :smile2:

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Stainless alone is not the answer; it needs a hard chrome coating...W

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    By far the best way to eliminate wear on the tip top is to eliminate the tip top! Aftco make some really neat miniature roller tips that work great. They do not cut down on casting distance unless you are wanting 100's of yards.
    These rollers work great with mono too, the retrieve becomes silky smooth even with a big fish on...W

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Last time I bought some tops I bought a pac bay tungsten carbide alloy ring top. So far so good I stuck it on a rod with sufix braid.