What baitcaster I should get?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by F150Catfish, Jan 14, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well, I am planning buy new baitcaster, I fishing for all catfish channel, flathead, and blue. so what baitcaster I should get??? Thanks
    Andrew

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Abu 6500C3 is a good one, or the 7000 series, then there's the Penns, maybe the 320.

3. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree w/ gadzookz. mainly on the abu garcia 6500 or the 7000, because i personally own both and have never had a problem w either one of them!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Andrew I like the 7000c3 . I would suggest you go to a major tackle store and look at all the models and brands and see what you think will do the job. You might want to look at some rods . Take a fishing buddy that has fished for all three species of fish you named and let him give you some input while you look. Good luck on your choice.:0a26: :0a18: :0a22:

5. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    I am with everybody else on this one. Abu Garcia 6500. Or A 6000. Both are awesome reels. The 6500 is a little smoother. But both are great reels

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I gotta go with the flow on this one if i could afford it all of my bait casters would be abu or penn but shakesphere is a cheaper brand that is a reasonably good reel also

7. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    My vote is for an Ambassaduer was well. I used a lot of spinning outfitts before I started using baitcasters, so I like the left handed reels (6001, 6501,& 7001) a little better. To me they just feel more natural even though I'm right handed.

Jon

8. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    all right guys, I can afford that abu garcia, I can get two abu garica baitcaster 6500 and 7000.. Thank you so much! :big_smile:

Andrew

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Wanted a 7000, have a 6500C3. Couldn't afford that 7000, so found a couple of used Penn 209's, one from a pawn shop, one from Ebay. Not as smooth as the 7000, but they more than do the job.

I'm jealous though. Maybe sometime this year. Gotta figure how to hide it from Momma, she thinks I have too many already. Only have about 12, is that too many?

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Don't over look the shimano tekota and the quantum cabo series. They cost a lot more then the abu's but there darn good reels.

11. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i will go along with the majority here and say either the abu 6000 or 7000 great reels

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Id say save some$$ for a couple good rods and get a 6000 and 220GTO but if you got the $$ get what ever sounds best to you. but a 6000 and an ugly cat rod and a 220GTO and a tiger or a BWB rod are two awsume combos that will cover all sizes of cats.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Andrew, The 6500c3 & 7000 C3 Are Good Choices.

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You will be happy with an ABU Reel they are well tested by anglers world wide.

15. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The 7000c3 is tough to beat. There may be a few reels out there better, but not many.

16. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    :big_smile: no its not many yet, you should get more than 12, I have 17 fishing poles and reels. I guess my father had more than me, I believe he have about 25 to 30 fishing poles so I guess he is crazy fisherman..

17. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Yea, I will try get good rods, right now I have some ugly stick catfish rod but cheaper... I will try get good rods like St. Croix??? a tiger??

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  19. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I totally agree. Due to the $$ I bought a levelwind reel from shakespeare at wlly world a few weeks ago, have not caught any cats with it but did catch a 34## carp this week and the reel did great. Casts well also. good deal for 30$

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

Snuck in another one the other day, a Penn Captiva 4000, an eater channel rod for me. I'm taking a hard look at the Shimano TR now, especially since the 6500's have gone up in price. I can get the big one for $59. It never ends. The one who wins is the one with the most fishing equipment when he dies.