What bait would you choose for channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dakid, Jun 7, 2006.

1. dakid

dakid New Member

State:
    Palos Hills Illinois
    What Bait Would You Prefer For Channel Catfishing

1.night Crawler
    2.chicken Liver
    3.shad
    4.stinkbait/punch Baits

2. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    It depends on what size of fish i wanted to get. I would use shad for the bigger sized fish, cut or live. Then if i you just want to catch something stinkbait would be my choice along with liver. Worms work good but they just catch stuff you dont want to half the time.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shad for bigger channels, and chicken liver for smaller fish..Not to say you cant catch either size on both, but that is what I would go with.

4. TastyWhisker

TastyWhisker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If there is an abundance of shad in the lake, and I know that to be a fact, I would use cutup shad. If I don't know a lake, I would use chicken liver.

It also depends if shore fishing or boat fishing. Liver is more difficult to keep on the hook and often times it takes a treble hook which is more easily snagged when casting and reeling from shore.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    danny kings punch bait is my channel cat killer bait now. i still dont think ill give up my cut bait of choice though(chubs). the punch has out fished the cut so far this spring,though! we will see how the summer progresses.

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've caught a lot of nice channels on both cut chub/shad and chicken livers. But your best bet if your looking for a big one is to use live or dead shad or chubs.

7. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    out of them, my first choice would be a big ball of nightcrawlers. one of my best baits is live soft crawls.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shrimp
    Chicken Liver
    Cut bait
    Meal Worms
    Live bait
    Shrimp
    Shrimp
    cheesy hot dog weiners

In almost all waters, shrimp is great for channels. If you take a look at the year end fishing results in IN Fisherman magazine, almost every year, the biggest channels are taken on shrimp.

9. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Chubs cut or whole, Sucker cut or whole, chicken livers, nightcrawlers.

10. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    My biggest was on cut shad, but I've also caught caught BIG ones on turtle and bird guts. It's just whichever I get ahold of first.

-Red

11. M Welch

M Welch New Member

State:
    Texas
    For larger fish I would go with cut bait or whole shad. When I want to snack on cat here and now...I go with punch bait on a treble hook.

-M Welch

P.S.-Now if I only how to make drum appealing to catfish.:wink:

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Cut creek chubs

13. purebonewv

purebonewv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i fish the west virginia side of the gallipolis locks an dam i've seen people catching monster cats on whole or cut skipjacks:0a23:

14. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Shad for ME TIMBO

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Here is my bait of choice, but not always the bait used:roll_eyes:

1. Fresh fellet shad
    2. A premium dip bait like (Danny Kings or Sonny's)
    3. Fresh chicken liver

I always fish with one pole that is of some sort of dip bait all the time. It works for me here in our parts.

16. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Depending on the area im fishing whats in the area im fishing if im targeting trophy channels or not trophy channels if the water is stained or clear if the water is deep or not if im fishing in the day or night and also depending on what the outside temp is and if still water moving water or in between the 2.

For channel catfish not in the trophy size range chicken liver is a good all around bait for them

If im targeting trophy channels. whole dead or live shad. cut shad, also the same for creek chubs many things can play a roll as in what bait is the best to use. most offten what ever type small fish are in the body of water that your fishing is what the cats are feeding on but check your local regs cause using the smaller fish from the body of water your fishing might not be let done.

17. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you want a channel you cant go wrong with liver. Some say fresh, but I've had good success with rotten also. It just makes you gag as your putting it on your hook. I also use cut sucker fish.

18. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Good ol' Night~crawlers or livers. Works for me anyhow! :big_smile:
    Ya know I have something to add here. I hear so many times about old stinky chicken livers but actually have better luck with fresh. Anyone else?

19. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I would have to go with Dip-Bait in the Summer & Cut Bait (Shad) in the Winter.
    :0a23:

Take it easy,:byebye:
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

20. D.I.P.

D.I.P. New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    When I Lived In Ca. We Always Used Night Crawlers And We Would Catch Big Channels.but When I Moved To Tennessee Everybody Used Chicken Livers So I Tried It And Caught 30+ Channels Every Night But Not Alot Of Big Ones.the Biggest We've Caught On Livers Was 12 Lbs. Worms Was 20 Something Pounds.