what bait to use?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by nitemare_63, Feb 11, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    1. i have been a catfisherman for years now but i recently have got the erge to want to pursue big cats so i havegot some better tackel and now im ready. i do most of my fishing in small to medium rivers where blue cats just dont live and my question is what kind of bait do i use? i plan on useing bluegill just dont know if i should use them alive or as cut bait. channel cats which can get huge are not too common and i know fatheads do but they prefer live bait. ive seen people on here talk about catching both in some instances and i just want some info on how i should use my bait??? i dont have a good means of getting live bait but i still want to hear what you all have to say

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dustion I would suggest using cut or live bait in shad, skipjack or bluegill. If you cant obtain any of these then consider purchasing some shrimp from the grocery store and soak it in garlic. Lots of fish is still caught on night crawlers.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you can use cut or alive to catch them.normally you will catch the blues on the cut bait and the flatheads on the live bait.

4. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    i use live bluegills for flatheads but i don't fish for blues much so i don't know much there but i here cut shad and skipjack work good.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    You want to use several varieties of baits. Live bait, liver, cut bait, shrimp, crawlers and get you maybe a bucket of some sort of dip or punch bait. You never know what they may be hungry for:wink:

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I found last summer that if I put out 1 pole with a bluegill head and 1 pole with a live gill I would generally get my first flathead on the bluegill head and my second and usually larger one on the live gill. Hope this helps.

7. catmancarr

catmancarr New Member

State:
    ky
    live bait under thick cover 4 flat head cut bait for blue cat

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Here in NE Okla. I use skipjack or shad for blues and use black perch of chubs for flatheads. Both will hit eather one if the bait is alive.

9. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I would go with live bait if I could. I've always caught bigger fish on live bait. Channels,Blues,and Flatheads all take live bait, you might need to use smaller bait for channels. Cut bait also works well if you can't find live bait.