What Bait Should I Use For My Snapper Line?

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by channelcat_tracker, Jun 1, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    can anyone fill me in on what bait to use for big snappers in a pond that i fish. the habitat is loaded with bluegill and bass and lots of carp and crappie and some catfish. the pond is halfway enclosed in seaweed yet there are deep parts in the water and very shallow parts. can anyone fill me in on how deep i should put the bait and what bait i use for juglines and trotlines? thanks if you respond

2. Small bream will work. As a kid I once got permission to fish a small stock pond on the condition that I remove as many snappers as I could. When I realized that the pond only contained stunted gills I switched over to catching snappers on my Dad's 9' saltwater rig complete with stainless leader. I would catch a silver dollar sized gill and bait it up on a 10/0 o'shaughnessy and suspend it under a large float. There was only one thing in the pond that could pull that float under.
    Once the hook was set the fun began LOL. Reel in until the snapper got his feet on the bottom then it was a tug of war until I got him on the bank where one of my brothers would be waiting with a baseball bat LOL.
    That got old after awhile so we broke out the heavy artillery, literally. The 30/06 got us uninvited:sad2: .

3. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yea people tend not to give you permission back on thier land when you bring a very HEAVY POWERED gun out on their lake. the way you were doin it sounded like alot of FUN!

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    we always used chicken fat on our turtle lines as a kid. set a floating trot line across the pond using balloons as floats. put drop lines about a foot down with medium treble hooks.

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I'd try hearts. maybe little ones like chicken hearts? Something small they swallow hole.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    pork chops! at least that is what i found to work best. i'd go to the store and find the reduced, slightly out of date pork (chops, roast etc.) and would cut it into half-dollar sized cubes. seems the more out of date and smelly it is the better.

7. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would try raw bacon. It draws the soft-shells, so I'd at least try it once.

8. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    use nightcrawlers and shrimp =)

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I use tough meat cuts so fish don't eat it off the hooks.

10. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Tough meat like catseeman said or cutbait (might catch a good cat also). I can't see myself eating turtle.

11. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Chicken Liver. I Catch Alot Of Turtles While Fishing For Channels.

12. kfritts

kfritts New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know chicken liver works well. we pulled 2 out of the in-laws farm pond a couple of weeks ago. We had no idea they had snappers until they attacked our stringer of fish. After we spooked them off the fish we threw out a small hook with liver and within 2 minutes had a hooked up snapper.

13. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Catch some gils and stomp on them before you put them on the hook, they will start to decompose and it should bring in the snappers.

Aaron

TA2D

14. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i had to leave a stinger of fish tied to my canoe in the Patoka river the other nite, 1 was 12lbs n the other 5 were in the 2 to 4lb range. when i got back the next mornin the only one left was the 12lber n he look glad to see me! the others were gone except one n it was just the head n ribcage. so if i wanted a large snapper i'd use a small cat there! flats could have done some of the damage cause there are some gooduns pulled from there too in the 40/60lb range. wish i could have had a camera on it to see what really happend.

15. CatfishRocky

CatfishRocky New Member

State:
    Iowa
    just yesterday me and my frend wint up to a pond and cought 4 snappers on half of a creek chub works good for me try it good luck later

16. Whiterivercatslayer

Whiterivercatslayer New Member

State:
    Indiana
    caught a 4Lb snapper on Beef liver today..always seem to catch a few

17. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    my choice would be bluegill.i usualluy cut them in half. i use a treble hook,2/0 or 3/0.as far as depth i put them on the bottom right on the edge of the moss using milk jugs seems to work pretty good for me hope this helps and good luck

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Chicken Gizzareds, you cant beat em. Tough as leather and they love em.

19. Jordan

Jordan New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Most of the time crappie fishing with minnows a turtle will bite them. But that might have alot to do with them seeing a bobber and knowing there is food under it.

20. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Chicken Livers Work Good, I've Sure Caught Alot Of Turtles While Catfishing.