What bait is better for Flats

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Mud Cat, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Here around home in eastern SC i hv found live bream to work well any one else got any options?

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer live Bluegills or bream or anything in this family of baitfish:big_smile:

3. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    ok well wat do u think bout using small crappie an bass?:eek:oooh:

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I think that bluegill work better than anything else that's readily available. I prefer green sunfish but that's just up to the fishing gods to decide what hits my little piece of worm:smile2:

5. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yea i know wat u mean fatflattie thanks for the advice:roll_eyes:

6. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I havent caught a bunch of flats but I prefer to use live gills first, shad, carp in that order. Although my two biggest flats have both come off small shad fillets. LOL. Weird.

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    HONESTLY i believe flatheads will eat any fish and other things

if its in the water its BAIT to them

i have had my best luck on live and cut shad,
    bluegills, perch or what ever gets in my throw net

as far as crappie heck yes darn good bait !!! but check if its legal or not

i have 1 lake i fish that is way over stocked with small crappie and the conservation sign says to harvest them because of over stocking

dont think i need to say more .:wink:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to go with live bluegill, shad, and bullheads! then cut bluegill, shad are also good bait, especially if you have trouble keeping them alive.

9. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Another one that I have used with quite a bit of success is live or cut eel. I also have to agree with the idea that if it is alive and in the water and smaller than thier head they will eat it!

10. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    One other thing, make sure if you use a game fish for bait, that you catch it legally, with rod and reel and it is within your daily limit, and of legal size to have in your possesion.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like we are in the same area. I live in Charleston and fish up and down the coast in the lower reaches of the rivers.

I use whatever brim, etc I can catch and have had good luck with bluegills, redbreast, stumpknockers, and white perch. I believe that a flathead will eat whatever, but some fish are stronger on the hook. Crappie always seemed kind of weak on the hook, so I generally skip them.

Have you ever tried live mullet? They are very common in the rivers, but I have never tried them.

12. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    It will be hard to beat a little Spotted Bass. They love them. (must be caught on rod and reel in Georgia to be legal bait).

13. Flatspontoons

Flatspontoons New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm also in agreement that a big flathead likely has no true PREFERENCE (in terms of taste, etc.) about what they eat.....alive and wiggling is important, but other that that, anything goes.....

However (and this is important to remember), that doesn't mean that any 'ol baitfish you slap on a hook is just as good for BAIT as any other 'ol baitfish.....

I would consider these (2) items first:

1) What baitfish squirms and wiggles the MOST when hooked?
    2) What baitfish STAYS ALIVE and CONTINUES to squirm and wiggle the longest when impaled on a big hook?

When you've answered #1 and #2, you have found the best flathead baitfish for you! :wink:

For me, bullheads are best followed by either warmouth sunfish or green sunfish.......

14. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yep Ja in SC we are in the same area i live next myrtle beach bout 45 min inland an no i hvnt tried the mullet but i will an if i try b4 u get the chance to i will let u knw how it went an thanks again!!!:wink:

15. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

SKIPJACK. Oh, I'm sorry, it's supposed to be alive and wiggling :wink:. I have yet to try ANY skipjack down here. I hear a lot about 'em though. :big_smile:

16. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks catgirl imma hv to give em a try :wink:

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all my flats come on fresh cut shad

18. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Bream, any type.. If looking for a nice Flat head, the smaller bream will always get you hooked up.. I will say that I have caught alot of Flats with live goldfish and live shrimp but it can get expensive. Now, I do agree that if you have live bait of any type and the Flat is bigger it will eat it. Hooked about a 3lb blue and a 20+lb grabbed him and hooked its self until it feel into my net.......Was a good day:wink:

19. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ive always had luck on blue gill. sadly not yet this year

20. Flatspontoons

Flatspontoons New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Jack,

Are you specifically targeting big flatheads only with the fresh-cut shad?

Or are you primarily targeting blues or channels with the cut-shad and incidentally catching occasional bonus flatheads???

I hear that a lot and have always been curious about that.......probably 9 out of 10 guys that tell me they catch all their flatheads on fresh cut-bait are ONLY fishing with cut-bait (usually targeting blues or channels), so they were not actually pursuing flatheads.....

But with your Forum name being "Flathunter", I'm assuming you are purposely targeting the flatheads with the cut shad, correct?

If so, do you prefer the cut-shad because it works better for you as an attractor than live-bait does?

Or is it because you don't like to mess with livewells, aerators and all the stuff that goes along with keeping baitfish alive and healthy all night? :wink: