What bait for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by daniel-delarosa, Mar 19, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I was just wondering what kind of bait ya'll use for flatheads. I have never really fished for them, just noodled. I know how they feel on the end of my arm, now I'm wanting to feel one on the end of my fishing line.
    And what do you use for blues and channels?

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I USE BLUEGILLS AND GOLD FISH AROUND HERE FOR ALL MY FLATHEADS. GOODLUCK

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well I'll tell ya bro, you some brass ones:big_smile: . I dont think that I stick my hand/arm down the mouth of any flatties regardless of size. Im too much of a wimp...I'll continue to sacrifice the bluegill:big_smile: :big_smile: !

4. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    you have to try it at least once. i guarantee its nothing like you think it is. its so easy it should be illegal!

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Daniel, I agree with him lol, I seen it on tv but it looks like it might hurt lol. Girls gone grabbin. But anyway you already know where thet like to hang out so all you gotta do is put a live bait near there. If you know an area where big females or males come to scout out a nest that would be even better. If conditions stay the same year to year you can set up in that general area and have some multiple big fish nights in the pre-spawn. They move around alot in the pre-spawn searching and trying to dislodge the fish already there. If you have a "prime" area where you caught big ones noodleing in the past, The ones you caught were the winners, just think about the 5 losers that got turned away and you start to see how fun it can be lol.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Sorry Dan, I forgot what you initial question was. I like to use anything I can catch in a cast-net or on a rod and reel for flathead bait. Usually what ever is the most abundant is what the flats will eat. But don't disregard anything, I have caught flats on gills,shad,bullheads,channels,bass,carp,goldfish,saugeye,suckers,.... If it swims and you can put a hook into it a flat will eat it lol.

7. wolfman1999

wolfman1999 New Member

State:
    wv
    i use chicken liver for channel cats and catulpa worms,,,love the dependable blue gill,,{but i think blue gill are considered gamefish in wva so be carefull} butter soft crawdads are great never seen a shovel head turn them down,,,come to think of it not much will turn em down,:big_smile:

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm not noodlin either!! To old and fat, but I do keep a pair of leather gloves in the boat for getting the ones in the boat that won't fit in the net. As far as bait bluegill and live shad, that is the natural bait in the lakes and rivers I fish so thats what I use.

9. FISHINSANTEE

FISHINSANTEE New Member

State:
    sc
    Like everyone else live bait but I have caught flats with whole dead hearing. I like to use live crappie when I can

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Live bluegills, creek chubs, suckers, goldfish = FLATHEADS
    Cut skipjack, shad = BLUE CATS
    Cut skipjack, shad, cut bluegills, raw shrimp w/vanilla extract = CHANNEL CATS

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i have never noodled, afraid of snakes and big snapping turtles. to catch flatties iuse suckers gills and goldfish always alive.

12. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

what the heck is a sucker?

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    A sucker is a bottom feeder fish similar to carp but do not get as big. The ones Ive used are usually about 8-12 inches

14. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    Bluegill smallmouth largemouth madtom goldfish
    creek sucker, its all good!:big_smile:

15. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    live or freshly cut bluegill for me.

16. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    there isnt a better bait for a flathead than your fist dont be afraid to wade out to a submerged structure and stick your hand in there lol but for rod and reel use whatever baitfish you have in your watersystem like blugill or shad