what bait do you guys use

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by richmondherperman, Oct 13, 2008.

1. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    What bait is best for flathead fishing at pony pasture.And what area in the park is best.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bluegills are easy to catch on beetle spins and make great bait. Unfortunately we are almost at the end of the flathead season. I went to a catfish fishing seminar at Green Top 4-5 years ago that Mike Osterlander taught. He said that Flatheads bite from Memorial Day until the World Series is played. If you are going to get on them, there's no time to spare. I like the big pool just below the Z Dam before you get to the big rocks and sluice where the kids play and sun bathe. You can park in the police / emergency workers spot right by the big rocks after dark when the gate is closed. They have a sign there that says its OK for fishermen to park after daylight hours.
    Good luck

3. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    You mean by the small island or above that .

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Right at the small Island. I use a canoe and catch my bait in the flat water around the bridge. There's a portage on the noth side of the Z Dam. The good fishing starts right below the Dam

5. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    I have a pond in the back of my apartment where i can get as many brim as i want and big ones to.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Brim are great Bluecat Bait as well. before I bought a gill net and finally half way fiqured out how to throw a cast net, I always used Brim. I have caught countless Blue Cats up 50 pounds on Brim. I think they work as well as Gizzard Shad.

7. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    Hmmm.

Also how hard is it to get gizzzerd shad with shad darts.

8. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would say impossible?? But I may be wrong.

9. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    What about thread fin.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have caught Gizzard Shad using a sabiki rig at walkers dam. Some snagged and some caught in the mouth. Sabikis are small gold hooks with a white bead on them, One rig will have 6 or so jigs all tied to the same line. Deadly on herring in the spring plus Hickory Shad and the big American shad will jump on them also. They have a swivel on the end of the line to hook a sinker two. Cast out and move the rod tip up and down and small baitfish will pounce on it. Brim in my lake are all over them. If you tip the hooks with a piece of worm, they are even better. I bet my kids and I caught two hundred white perch in the James one afternoon this past Spring fishing the sabikis on the bottom with a little red worm kicker! Dicks and Green Top and about everybody carries sabikis. Have fun.

11. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    I am a saltwater guy i know all about it.

12. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    we tore up some herring and shad this spring on sabiki's!!

how do you'll store the rigs? mine get tangled up all the time.

almost time to break out the gill net again...

vaughn

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I broke down and bought one of those hollow sabiki rods at Green Top. You reel the sabiki into the rod,,and the sinker stays at the top on the outside. All the hooks are inside the rod. Pretty cool. I put an ancient 50 year old Zebco 33 of my grandad's on the rod. Downside is the rod cost me $40 and is only used for the sabikis.

14. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    I just use a little spiner.