What bait do I need in my crawfish trap?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Guthooked, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    Today I bought a crawfish trap. I really don't know what they eat so I put a piece of raw bratwurst in it. Any suggestions?

2. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i usually put canned tuna and/or/ cat or dog food. raw chicken legs also work really well if you tie them down

3. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've had good luck with dog food, Hot dogs, Bologna, and raw chicken, beef, and freezer burned duck. Good luck,
    Jeff

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

put a couple of strips of raw bacon in there. We used to stringfish for crawdads with raw bacon and would catch plenty enough to eat and use for bait. If there's crawdads in there you'll catch em.

5. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Try a turkey neck if you can find them any more they really hang in there.

6. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Chjicken necks work great also. Good luck and don't be stingy If you get quite a couple hundred pounds send them to Lawnman61 and myself. Luv some good crawfish LOL

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    All of the above should work fine. I always use raw chicken but just about any raw meat should work.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have had good luck with left over cut bait that has deterioated past being able to stay on a hook or bait that I have refroze!

9. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    thats what I was thinking cut bait or anything raw

10. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    ok dude, first thing is, use any kind of fish...catch a couple of perch, put a couple of slits a few inches apart all the way down, or catfish head and gut is great! make a hook out of a coathanger...wish i could draw one for u...i found some pics of crawfish traps i made...look in them and you'll see a clip i make out of anything the size of coathanger wire. and u want to place it close to the opening, but not so close they can get it w/o entering the trap. i also make crawfish pillow traps which makes up about 90% of all my traps. if u need any info, just pm me.
    shaun

Attached Files:

11. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    Here in Louisiana, most of the commercial crawfisherman use cut frozen shad for bait or just use catfish carcasses. You can not go wrong using either one of these.

12. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Shad! I was at the spillway at Catahula lake watching guys catch shad with a hand net. I am talking 1000's of pounds of shad. They were boxing them and loading them on a truck. I asked what they were using them for. They told me they sold them to crawfish farmers for bait.

13. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    jstall, where is gary tx. I was raised up around the Galveston area. I live in DeVille La. now not far from the diversion canal, and yes they do catch a lot of shad at the gates when the water is right .:big_smile:

14. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ham or bologna works best for me

15. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Bacon works best in ponds for me. In creeks i like chicken legs better.

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I've had good luck with a can of dog or catfood with just holes poked in the can for them... another good thing is if you keep the remains from filleted fish... toss that in there and they'll go for it... you may also catch a bunch of minnows too.

17. Keeyaawww dat is an easy one, You can buy da commercial type(a least maybe I tink you can over da internet) but da best ting I have found is just trow a shad in dere and dat works pretty good fo me but if you can find it too is some beef melt, or da lung of some cow eider way dey both is good for crawfish, I used to do it for a livin, but not for catfish eatin, for me eatin.......dem crawfish est trey bien...I gaur-on-tee.....

18. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    It all sounds good to me. Wish I had a big mess of em right now.

19. johnpotter777

johnpotter777 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Raw bacon all the way:cool2:

20. SIVART22573

SIVART22573 New Member

State:
    Pewee Valley, Kentucky
    I would go with the bacon, but I got a ton of Crawdads when I left my minnow trap in the water 2 days before checking it, a watersnake went in, ate my minnows then couldn't come up for air and drowned, then TONS of crawdads ate the snake, all that was left was the skeleton.