What are your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by wabah58, Nov 14, 2009.

1. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    During the first week of December, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE) will shut down the electric fish barrier located in the Chicago Sanitary Ship Canal (CSSC) near Romeoville, IL for required, routine maintenance. The barrier is the only physical protection against the carp entering the Great Lakes and its shutdown may present an opportunity for the destructive fish to advance up the CSSC.

Before the barrier is taken out of service,Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) will use a fish toxicant (rotenone) to eradicate any carp in the vicinity of the barrier. Rotenone will also kill other fish in the canal and the application and cleanup process will necessitate the temporary closure of the CSSC to all commercial and recreational boat traffic between the Lockport Lock (MM 291) to just north of the barrier (MM 298). While the toxicant will eradicate Asian carp and other fish in the canal, rotenone does not present a risk to people or other wildlife when used properly.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Same thing they said about AGENT ORANGE....

Looks like they could find something natural to kill them off like crushed black walnut shells and a club....

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I help my father in law use rotenonein in both of his stock ponds before restocking with channel catfish. Worked great, that's been about 20 years ago.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Cmon man puit a real jersey on in your avater get a UT one:smile2::big_smile::big_smile:We beat ouy, but i was kinda worried for the whol egame it was a close one!!!!