What are your limits?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Dec 4, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just thinking to myself today, and was wondering how other members felt. My question is this, what are your limits? How much comfort will you sacrifice to chase trophy catfish? This may pertain to Bluecats more than others. I remember all last winter, meeting my buddy ProstreetS10 at the boat ramp at 330am, almost every weekend, and usually when the air temp was a steamy 10 to 15 degrees. And as crazy as that may sound to the normal casual fisherman, I loved every minute of it. Caught more fish last winter freezing to death than I did this entire spring, summer, and fall combined! For me, its never to cold, or to wet, to chase the big blues. I realize I may have a screw loose....:eek:oooh:....but so be it, just curious how you guys feel. Will you chase down 40 and 50lbers when the water on your fishing lines turns to ice immediatley when you re-bait? Or would you rather be comfortable and hope the biggun comes along?
    :0a18:

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Right now for me that would be a little hardcore LOL. Next year I plan on getting some better cold weather stuff so I wont be so bad when I do decide to go out in the winter. I like to be warm and I mean toasty warm but I know once I get some better stuff to wear and not just jeans and a warm jacket then Ill be better prepared.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Team Hardcore says, "Sir, you are hardcore! Welcome to the club!" :smile2:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've never catfished in the winter,,,YET. I've fished a bunch of bass tourneys in down rite cold, wet, miserable conditions. the best fishing i ever had was in winter. The bite is slower, but the fish are usually bigger in the lakes i fish.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I guess I'm missing the same screw :smile2:, the colder the better. As long as the water stays in liquid form we go in the winter. I HATE SUMMER FISHING:wink:!

6. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Get that adrenaline pumping and it dont matter much anyway. But for those slow, cold days I got a good setup. I have a runabout/converted fishing boat, during the fall I put the Bikini over on top, got the sides covered and a clear back(basically a tent). Got a propane heater and cooler full of beverages:roll_eyes:. Doesnt get much better....fish or no fish.

7. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    You crazy fool you crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im good now though. Me n ol Randy just installed our new propane heater in our boat!!!! Now thats hardcore baby. Im gonna be wearin nothin but a cheetah thong and a catfish1 shirt at the river saturday baby!!!! c-yas there. Cant wait to shake some hands:smile2:

8. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I just bought a boat a couple summers ago to be able to get my disabled wife "off the bank" and away from places she couldn't get to. She couldn't bear that type of weather, but after having "been on the water", I'd damn sure take a crack at it. I've got all these FNG ideas and if it were possible, I'd probably never come home. When I don't have to put her disabilities first, I'll be spending a LOT of time on the water and weather be damned as long as my toilet paper don't get wet.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    For me I love the summer, if I am sitting there sweating Im happy LOL.

10. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    "as long as my toilet paper don't get wet". Thats great.....:smile2:

11. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Hope you do really well on saturday, but PLEASE NO pictures!!!:smile2:

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Every tuesday night all night long. Doesn't matter what the weather is doing, we are out there fishing. Ice storms, snow, hail, tornados, the TNR bunch have fished through them all :smile2: If your ever in western KY. around Lake Barkley on a tuesday come join us.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well said Griz!!!:smile2:

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I will do just that...:wink:

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    SWEET!! Glad there are others out there! I am the same way, the colder it is the more i wanna fish. Don't let that catcrazed guy fool you, he would freeze if he wore thongs inside a sauna!:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's never too cold to go fishing. i fish all year for some species anyways. Crappies, Walleye, etc. I wish the Blues were around here and it would make it easy for me to say I only chase cats year round.. LoL.. For now, I have to look at that 7 pound largemouth on the wall I caught Jan. 7th, a few years back and consider myself still hardcore....LMAO!! rollo

17. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I went to catch bait for Saturday tonight, the ice was freezing on the net if you waited too long to cast it. As for the fishing part, you can never catch bait without trying it out,it was working just fine. Caught five in a hour and a half, the biggest was only five pounds but they were fish and were biting like crazy. The bait on the other hand was small ,1 1/2" to 2" shad was all I could get. Good thing brother is bringing bait!!!

18. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Pictures!!! Hell Im bringin the video camera............:smile2:

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Pic looks great there Hilljack:wink:!! Congrats on the cats. You are having much better luck than me. I may do some bank fishing in the morning to try to catch a couple.

I have about 35-40 skips I can bring up to the gathering. Good variety on size so it should be good fishing

20. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have never reached my limit yet even when my line would freeze to the boat.