what are your ideas on spinning gear for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatfishHateMe, Dec 1, 2006.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use spinning gear for all the fishing i do, mostly cats. i dont see a problem with it but then again i havnt hook into anything bigger than about 20 pounds. ive seen pros on tv using spinning gear for big flatheads when fishing more open water and then go too baitcasting gear for heavier cover water. anyone use spinning reels on big flatheads/blues? i saw an article in in-fisherman about spinning gear for cats and it exposed the goods and bads. but ive done my homework on it the past few days and i dont see any extreme "No-No's" for spinning gear and cats except for the cranking power of a buffer baitcaster compaired to that of a spinning reel. any opinions?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is very little difference between spinning gear and baitcasting equipment. Each uses a different mechanisim to release the line from the spool. Once it is in the water, then it becomes more the "person" than the reel. If you play the fish properly, use the rod, use the drag, you should be able to land very big cats with spinning equipment. If you don't do the job properly, it is not going to matter what type of equipment, how strong the line, or what type of hook your using. There is more to fishing than hardware.

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    right, but, dont you think a baitcaster reels more powerfully than a spinning reel? not that reeling power determines weather you bring in a nice cat or not, i dont own a baitcaster but have used them and in my opinion a baitcaster has more power when it comes to reeling. maybe it was just me i dunno:tounge_out:

4. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There certainly is no real reason why you couldn't land a rather large fish on spinning gear, or a fly rod with a fly reel for that matter. When a person is playing a fish, the rod is doing alot of the work. Not the reel.

Of course you will most likely read from some folks that will disagree.

I generally use casting gear for larger fish. But I have caught some pretty big fish on spinning gear as well. I have seen tuna, sailfish and marlin come to the boat on spinning gear and fly rod set-ups too.

To a certain degree, I think quality gear can enhance the fishing experience, and the more robust it is, the more likely it will not fall apart while in use. That is of course contingent upon whether the gear is being used appropiately. If it is not, even the best equipment can self destruct.

There are pros and cons to both spinning and casting. Many, if not most of those are based to a large degree on personal preference.

If you are going after 90 pound fish in a raging current, you should gear up for that. My preference would be to use casting gear for that experience, but a good angler could do it with a spinning set up.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think u can catch a big fish on spinning gear.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Neither one has the power to "crank" in a large fish; the rod must be pumped, and the line then spooled. A spinning reel will actually recover more line, faster, when using this technique.

I own, and use, both, but my preference is for spinning.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I plead the 5th, on this one!!!

8. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like the bait caster type reels for my catfishing. But as it was said I think it just what you like. I use spinning for my light tackle stuff. crappie and perch jerking. I think I just like the way a bait caster can handle big line. I got 50lbs test on my two flathead rods and 30lbs test on the rest. That big line get a little too stiff for spinning reels.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a couple of spinning reels that I feel have the same strength as my Abu 6500's and almost as much as my Abu 7000's. They are the Daiwa 5050 Sealine Bait Runners. Big reels and plenty of power, dual drag settings and hold a mint of line. IMO they are the "motts" of spinning reels until you get into the size 60's are the 300 dollar and up reels.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've seen some mean and nasty fish pulled in with spinning gear. Matched to a good rod, it'll do the job. I used to use nothing but spinners, but have converted to baitcasters, but mainly because I can get better distance and I've found fishing from a kayak, the bait casters give me fewer problems with backlashes, either is good though.

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    JW, it's alright to admit that you use a Snoopy rod. :wink:
    Will

12. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I slip cork for channels. That is almost the only way I fish for cats. I use spinning tackle because to me it cast better. I also use braided line because to me it handles a little better from a spinning rig.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jason, what your asking is for an opinion. Everyone who fishes will have an opinion on this subject. Some will be adamant for baitcasters, some for spinnning reels, and some probably for spin cast reels. My opinion is that it does not really matter. It is the person who decides what happens. It's like, would you rather shoot a bear with a .22 caliber handgun, a .38, .44 Magnum or express rifle? Either way, the bear has been shot. LOL

14. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I use Spinning gear exclusively as I have neither the time or patience to learn to use casting gear.
    Penn 8500 spooled with 100# Power Pro
    Fin-nor ofs95 spooled with 150# Power Pro
    and so on

15. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Provided you're not snag fishing, you can get big fish in on light gear as long as it's well balanced. I was fishing with this guy and he landed this fish on a shimano technium reel, 30lb braid and a shimano spinning rod. It was a front drag reel (the rear drags get fried very very quickly) and the rod spent most of the time bent flat but he got the fish. The cat took a 3 inch rubber fish! I'll try and attach the picture - the fish was caught on a boat but we went to shore to take the photos and weigh it cos we'd left the scales behind....

I'm not advocating fishing light (I use 150lb powerpro), but we were fishing for zander at the time (think you call them walleye).

Attached Files:

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Technically the baitcasters have more power especially if you use the 2 speed ones like a lot of people use in the ocean. The speed and the power ratio is stronger compared to the spinners in certain brands that is. Its one of the reasons that a lot of baitcasters cost so much more than spinners.

I for have caught a few 40 pound class cats on spinners and it did the job; however, on the baitcasters in catching fish similar size or larger I was able to control the fish better and pretty much feel more comfortable reeling the fish in compared to the spinners.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    OK somebody explain to me why a bait caster has a "better" power ratio than a spinner.Greg has hit the nail on the head with his set up.Lets dont forget if you walk down a beach and look at most of the surf casters they are using spinners and they do it for a reason.They have to make long casts,fight big fish like 40-60 lb stripers and Redfish,this requires a good line supply and you can retrieve the line far quicker with spinners.Power comes from pumping the rod which frees up line to be retrieved.You can do it far quicker with a spinner.If you have ever fished with a Santee guide that drift fishes,you know they put out anywhere from 70 to 100 yds of line.Try reeling in 6-8 outfits with that much line out.You will soon see advantages to the spinners.I fish for 90lb fish in a raging current on the James and feel my PENN 7500s with 80lb Fins braid is up to the job,no problem.Most of us are products of our initial education on virtually any subject.If you stated out with BCs then you are going to stay with them.Fortunately I started on BCs then went to spinners.It just seemed more natural to lift with my power hand and crank with the left.I can still grab a rod out of the holder on a guides boat and crank the right handed BCs with no problem.My point is no one should feel under gunned with spinning IF you chose the appropriate tackle.:smile2: :big_smile: :eek:oooh: Spinners also handle the quality braids better in my opinion.:smile2:

18. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I personally haven't tried for some bigguns yet. I always use spinning gear. Hopefully this winter I will get a couple times to fish for some big blues. I use a Shakespeare Tiger spinning 7ft. med action rod and reel.

good luck

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I started out with spinners and am to old to change now Even though I own a couple of Bcs:big_smile:

20. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    use what ever u are comfertable with. i use to use spinners but after buying my first baitcaster and learningto use it,i will not use any thing else.i even plane on getting some ultralite baitcasters to use for bluegill and crappie.lol.