Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

What are you using for bait?

3K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  wykydjuggalo 
#1 ·
Three weeks ago I caught a basket full on chicken livers and now I can't get em to hit anything.What are you folks using for bait,,and,,,Deep water or shallow water,,,I'm fishing areas of 10-15 feet deep.Northeast Tenn River.

#5 ·
Was using shrimp marinated in vanilla Sunday afternoon. Caught 9 little channels about 10 inches long. Had some beef liver with lots of garlic salt that had marinated about a week too. Had something hit it on the baitcaster reel and it hit and run. Created on heck of a blacklash in it. Lost the fish too. Was in a farm pond.

#13 ·
I tried some Chicken Gizzards, they worked ok, but they aren't a chicken liver, that's for sure.

Mostly I use the Wal-mart night crawlers or Shiners. Blue's on the warrior tear the crap out of the shiners and just about everything else will eat the night crawlers.

Been fishing in about 30-40 feet of water with the shiners and sometimes small bluegill.

#15 ·
Where exactly are you fishing? If you are not getting bites on chicken livers in the Tn river this time of year...you need to change locations. On lake Guntersville the channels are tearing up fresh chicken liver, but I am having the time of my life using fresh bream and shad cut-bait. Try using a slip float...the cats seam to come off the bottom as the water warms. I have been using noodles set at different depths to zero in on them, then I set my slip floats at that depth and hold on. Chicken liver seams to attrack the most bites, but the big ones are running for the bream. I've been using 3-6" bream and cutting them sideways from the guts to the tail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.