What Are You Packin'??

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Everybody loves a good knife...and to a certain extent...a guys knife says something about who he is...and what he does with it.

Many prefer application specific knives instead of general purpose to carry on them as their personal blade.

But yet to others an old traditional three blade Buck or Old Timer will suffice.

I have MANY knives...but when it comes down to it...I only use 5 out of...oh I don't know...probably an estimated 30 or so assorted knives total.

For my personal knife...which I use for general purpose fishing, hunting, work, ect....I definately need a locking blade...it needs a belt clip...so I can hook it into my front right pocket for easy access....and it's even better if it can be opened one handed...and I prefer a Tanto style blade...partially serrated.

That knife is a Benchmade Griptillian 5 1/2"... by Mel Pardue Design. It's a little on the large side for a pocketknife...but I'd rather have too much knife than not enough in most cases.

It holds a superior edge to any other knives I've owned....and I can't say enough good things about Benchmade and their product.

My tacklebox knife is a 3 1/2" CRKT... by Carson Design. It too is partially serrated...and is up for hacking off a piece of hard to cut braid line effortlessly at any given moment.

My skinning knife is a Buck Skinner 5" rounded blade. Ihat knife has been in service for 25 years...and has skinned and caped more deer than I really care to remember during that time.

My fillet blades are Russell international saltwater knives. One is a 7"...the other a 10". There's one more in the three knife set...a serrated one...but I don't use it for anything other than kitchen duty.

They are just the ticket for precisely cutting up a big fish of any species...or merely for the finish work post-electric the fillet knife.

Below are some pics of my go to blades. What have you got?

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Lol...here are those pics. :confused2:

Attached Files:

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have a double handful but I never go anywhere without my Buck 110.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a S/W Homeland security for everyday stuff and a Spyderco Rescue Serrated for "Just In Case" I dont use the Spyderco so its' factory sharp.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I collect knives......case xx.....bucks...I carry a bone handled medium stockman. My bait knife is one I found and still use for many years now. As long as it will cut bait, no need to change.

6. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    We had a BBQ for a few years so my boat knives are the standard 7inch blade boneing knives used in a packing house. Sharp as heck and one located in each corner of the boat. used to cut bait, cut fingers, cut hook out of cheek-left upper. cut dropline before cutting cheek. cleaned deer, boned boston butts, trimmed ribs, trimmed briskets, trimmed thumb. I quit carrying even a pocket knife but I wouldn't be in the boat without one.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    For everyday use I have a Buck folding hunter and a Gerber Special Forces double edged throwing knife, for hunting I have a two knife set of Buckmaster, one folding half serrated, one drop point fixed blade that are in the same scabbard, two Buck fillet knives; one short and one long, a Buck skinner, three Chicago Cutlery skinners, a Rapala fillet, an old hand made Bowie, and two switch blades for SCUBA diving. I also keep a Remington fillet and a Leatherman in my tackle box.

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    A Kahr TP9......lol

Won't take a knife to a gun fight.

:smile2:

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

What! No machete! LOL!

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i also have a double handfull of knives some nice some cheap. i would love to have a benchmade but cant make myself commit to the price tag, for fear of loosing it. i had a crkt, but it was lost during an "altercation" overseas.

these days i basically have 3 knives that i use regularly.
    my "keep it in the pocket knife" is a lil kershaw lock blade half serated then down to a drop point. it is light, sharp, and easily opened. my "skinning knife" is a gerber gator with the gut hook. i didnt like it at first (hard to get a good edge-now i have some ceramic rods--much better) but i have grown to love it over the last few years. very sturdy and dependable. my "fillet knife" is just a walmart rapala 6" with a very flexable blade. i usually go through about 4 of them a year, because i like to clean my fish on the water, and i am clumsy.

as for throwing knives and whatnot. i realized i have absolutely no skill in that department. so i figured, if i am relly going to throw i knife at someone, i might as well just shoot them and be done with it. i still "play" in the backyard some, but it drives the wife nuts.

11. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I'am from old school, I like carbon steel, not much on SS. carry eye brand mainly. old case, scharde etc. muskrat and sodbuster style. Iv'e notice all knives are not equal, same brand some hold a good edge and some don't.
    ALso have made a few knives, for skinning and such.
    Haveing said all that hace been using a folding box cutter, razor blade type. sure is nice to just replace or turn over. Its not good on cutting bait though.
    Times change.
    Jim

12. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I own a dozen or so knives (all cheapies). When I do carry a knife (which is rare) it's usually a 4" Gerber buck style knife. When fishing is use a 7" Rapala filet knife for cut bait & cleaning fish, for everything else I use a Stanely utility knife.

J

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have several knives as well. Typical practical duties for my knives include box cutting, cleaning fingernails, cutting fishing line, and poking holes in a fish's lip. The knife that I carry daily is a simple 2-blade Winchester with a 2-1/2 inch blade. It holds a good edge. I can shave with it. I have a bunch of larger lock blades. Some serrated, some not. I just don't like to carry a heavy knife when I don't need to. If I know I'm gonna need one, I have some to choose from.

For filleting fish, I use a Rapala. Seems to work well. I have one that still holds and edge, but the wooded handle is rotting off, so I got one of the newer ones with a rubber handle. Cheap, but very sharp.

14. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My Case XX Mini Trappers have served me well over the years, I wore 2 completely out when I trapped in the 80's. I still carry one today, partially as a reminder of days past, and mainly because it is a good knife.

15. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Lol...but then again...if ya start tryin to shoot your braid line in two after ya tie a knot there in the riverpark...the natives start getting restless!!

16. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    I use a Gerber pocket knife for when I am at work.
    But for hunting and filleting fish, I use 3 different knives.
    My husband makes knives and I have two that I use for filleting fish and one that I use for skinning, gutting and cutting throats while hunting.

Darrell has I don't know how many, that he made and uses and sells.

Below are pictures of MY knives that he made me and that I use.
    The first two are my fillet knives and the bottom photo is my hunting knife.
    I also carry a back pocket full of band aids - I don't know HOW that man gets a knife so sharp and keeps em that way.
    Sassy

Attached Files:

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I lose every pocket knife I buy, usually within about a month of buying them. That's not entirely bad, though, since I'm one of those poor souls who makes a knife duller every time I try to sharpen it. I have a couple of junk fillet knives that live in the boat and every squirrel season I buy a new 3 blade Old-Timer for cleaning rodents, and that's about it.

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Allways swore by Schrade ,till I discovered Case XX trapper pattern in 4",also have a handmade C4brand hunting knife from c4 stainless that will hold a shaving edge after gutting and skinning a deer.

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I used to have a Case Sharktooth stag horn handle.

That was an excellent knife...right up until it got stolen out of my boat one day outside a convenience store. WHILE it was in the top shelf of my best, biggest, and heaviest hiproof tacklebox. :angry: