What are they good for?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by catfish_jordan, Jul 29, 2006.

1. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    besides a good fight what are carp good for.

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Everywhere else in the world they are concidered a delicacy. The meat isn't bad, they are just a bony fish, if you don't know how to clean them you will be pickin' alot of bones! And they put up one hell of a fight!

Aaron

TA2D

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    cut bait. and if they're small enough, live bait. some people eat em too.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I'm with the therockhound on this. Those are the only good that they will ever be. They do make great archery targets!!!

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    To me, cooked right, they make me think of, Bluegill, just a lot more meat in them, and no bones fixed correctly. I've only ate one once, but wasn't bad to me, Cats are a lot better though in my opinion.

6. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Carp have a ton of uses. #1 they are fun to catch most of the time they bite LOL. I like to take people who haven't caught big fish and let them hook into a slob the look on there face is priceless when the drag screams. For eating not bad I like them smoked I got 4 this morning 1 for cat bait the others will get smoked tomorrow.
    Like the others said you can shoot them with the bow till your boats full, they are great fertilizer. My only problem is when people through them on the shore and they lay there stinking.

Attached Files:

7. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    What are they good for?.... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.... sorry that was a song

Carp can make good cut bait if you have a good recipe, some people eat them, ummmm other then that... not sure

8. tbischof

tbischof New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If they provide an enjoyable time catching them what more do you need? Love to see kids hook into a big one.

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    You can also bury them in a glass jar and they turn to oil. Can be used for trapping.

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have caught several carp and tried to prepare them in the best of state. I even caught a young 2lber once, immediately filleted it and put it on ice....no matter how i have tried to prepare them...they just taste like crap. Lot's of fight in them tho..definitely in the top 10 of freshwater fish for fightin.

EDIT: note, my family and friends look forward to my preparation and cookin of fish..not a rookie here.

cyas
    rc

11. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    you got that rite brother...........:cool2: :lol: :big_smile: :big_smile:

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If done right you can clean them cut them off the bone and have two good slabs of meat.When fixed right they make one darn good sandwhich.Don't knock it till you've tried it. you just might like it.

13. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    me personaly never tryed it but a LONG time a go my dad caught a master angler carp and ate it.he said he will never eat one again.also hes not to good at cooking.LOL:big_smile:

14. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    Bait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Mountaineer

Mountaineer New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Good for a fight and to clean up a grassy pond lol.

16. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i had the best fight of my life with a carp but as for other uses i can't think of any

17. carolinarebel78

carolinarebel78 New Member

State:
    north carolina
  18. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Carp are giant goldfish! with lips fit for kissing!!:embarassed: and they can slap you around with there tails!! submit to the power of the Carp!:cool2:

19. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    The fight is great and they also taste pretty good.

If you catch a big enough one, you can get a pretty good size piece of meat off of them.

Some people don't like the taste and some do?

Myself, I like just about any type of fish and the thought of me catching it, makes it taste better.

I deep fry them just like I do my other fish.

Ken

20. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yep....ditto on the kids part. They have carp in many of our urban lakes (AZ) which makes for a good fight without having to drive too far - that's critical for the little ones