What are the Texas rules in carrying a knife for protection while fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by LadyValea1, Nov 27, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    ah, if a person carries a knife for protection....is this a concealed weapon? do you need a permit? or does it have to be a certain length?

That is in the state of Texas?

I can't see myself carryin a handgun...even after the permit..
    but I do carry a fillet knife on my side for cuting bait.

should I carry a Rambo style knife instead? and is it legal?

thanks

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I am not sure of Texas, but here is what I do in Michigan:

I have a 7" or 9" fillet knife in the tackle box. ON MY PERSON THOUGH, because of the law in michigan, I carry a knife whose single sided blade is no longer than the length of a credit card or drivers license.

Sometimes I stretch the rules by carrying a very open plain view neck knife on a lanyard around my neck. It is somewhere around 4 inches plus has a gut hook on it. I dont see how they would bust me for having it- it is total utility and a necessity on the river at night, but I suppose it could wind me into trouble. After dark while battling a cat it is easier to get to a neck knife to cut the line of a bad or gut-hooked fish than to hold the rod with one hand and try to dig in a coat or pants pocket for a folding knife then try to open it with one hand.

good luck!!!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Most states use the common sense approach. If you are engaged in an activity which may require the use of a large knife, as fishing or hunting, it is legal to carry it while pursuing that venture. However, if your hunting and walk into the 7-11 with a bowie knife on your hip, your not engaged in that activity. Same with handguns... if your hunting and you carry the weapon in plain sight, most states, do not require a permit for the weapon. But, again, don't carry the weapon if your not actually in the field hunting. You have to check your specific state to do that... an easy way to resolve the question is to simply call your state police... they know the laws which apply to the state. Don't forget the county/parrish as they may have laws which apply also.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dont know what the laws are in Kentucky, but a freind and i were fishing on the KY side of the Ohio river one night when a game warden snuck on up us and my freind had his huge bowie knife sticking in a log. game warden imediately snatched it and said "i'll hold on to this for now" and then proceeded to check our liscense and such. he asked him what he was doing with it and after finding out it was for fishing and for protection he returned it and went on his way. the "multi-purpous" tool i take with me bankfishing at night can be used for wacking down weeds, cutting bait, or if needed putting a serious hurt on someone......A MACHETTE:eek:oooh:

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Tina, if it's leagal, carry a 6 or 8 inch blade bowie knife on your hip - the sight of it will be a deterrant, and that is the first line of defense

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Are ya prepared to use and perhaps have it taken from ya and used on you?

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I

I'm with you George, a weapon is ONLY effective if you have been trained TO & WILL use it, other than that you have merely supplied your assailant with an additional weapon:embarassed:

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    May want to give some thought to pepper spray or mace. Maybe even those stun guns and tasers.

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Keep in mind, that when/if using any type of aerosol spray, that if you don't remember which way the wind is blowing..........You might wind up applying it to YOURSELF:eek:oooh: :embarassed:

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i carry a pretty good sized bowie knife on me when huntin/fishin, and for night fishin my dad carrys a 9mm under his coat cuz around here theres some crazy folks livin down on the river. and im with him, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

11. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its all about comfort zones. With me If I need to protect myself I will know it long befor I need a knife.when someone sees a hand gun its going to make them think.depending on whare I am I will have snake shot in my 9mm if in the woods.If im on the road I have slugs

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky

Most cops seem to use it okay, but like I said its a thought. Alot of people have cut themselves with a knife too.

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    A good ole weapon is a sawed of broom stick ITS legal lite weight and Hurts:cool2:

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Lady Val, I have a couple of thoughts/comments. First off, you say you don't think you could handle a firearm even with training. That tells me that you have never shot one or held one. The only way a gun will fire and injure or kill someone is if the trigger is pulled. I bet there in Texas you could find a gun range/club that could teach you all you need to know to make you more comfortable around handguns. They are not the evil devices the media types make them out to be. They are a useful tool to hunt or defend yourself with. Like what was stated before, if someone intent on doing you harm sees a gun on your waist they will turn away. All they have to do is see it and all the sudden you aren't the tiny girl victim they thought you were.

Second, Do not think you are safe by yourself just because you have a knife. A knife is a close-in weapon, it is not effective till your attacker is within arms length. If you miss your mark or he grabs your arm you don't have a weapon anymore.
    Its better to keep an attacker as far from you as possible. A hand gun will let you keep your distance and leave the area safely if the attacker wont leave.
    If you are gonna go out alone please take a gun class and shoot for yourself before you discard the whole notion of hand guns.

15. UK_fisherman

UK_fisherman New Member

State:
    Kent, UK
    I've done a bit of snooping on the interenet to see if I could find anything about knife laws in Texas for you - heres what I found I hope it helps some.

Texas - Health, Safety & Morals - 46.02. Unlawful carrying
    weapons. (a) A person commits an offense if intentionally,
    knowingly , or recklessly carries on or about his person a
    handgun, illegal knife, or club. [Exceptions: official;
    actor was own premises; was traveling; engaged in lawful
    hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity; security
    guard].
    - 46.01. Definitions. (1) "Club"... includes... (D)
    Tomahawk...
    (6) "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by
    being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto,
    and poniard;
    (D) sword; or
    (E) spear.
    (7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable
    of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or
    stabbing a person with the instrument.
    - 46.03. Places weapons prohibited.
    (a) A person commits an offense if, with a firearm, illegal
    knife, club, or prohibited weapon [includes switchblade
    knives], he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly goes:
    (1) on the physical premises of a school [or school bus];
    (2) on the premises of a polling place...
    [(3) a court; (4) a racetrack; (5) secured area of an
    airport].
    - 46.05. Prohibited Weapons. (a) A person commits and offense
    if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures,
    transports, repairs, or sells... (5) a switchblade
    knife... (d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution
    under this section that the actor's conduct: (1) was
    incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife,
    springblade knife, or short-barrel firearm solely as an
    antique or curio...
    - 46.06. Unlawful transfer of certain weapons.
    (a) A person commits an offense if he... (2)... sells...
    gives... offers... to any child younger than 18 years any
    firearm, or illegal knife [except with written parental
    consent].

Texas Case Law:
    - "A teacher could not carry weapons in his school room..."
    (1889)
    - Broken switchblade knife was still a "switchblade knife"
    within this section... (1986)
    - "Defendant's contention that he took knife to school to
    fight demons that plagued him did not defeat requisite
    state of mind for conviction..." (1993)
    ------------------------------------------------------

Texas
    • [FONT=arial, helvetica]Summary: Folders under 5.5" OK.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, helvetica]Max length: 5.5"[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, helvetica]Specifically illegal: Switchblade, throwing knives, daggers (in general), bowie knives, swords and spears.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, helvetica]Relevant laws: Penal Code 46[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, helvetica]Quirks: The one state people associate with Bowie knives explicitly forbids them.[/FONT]
    -------------------------------------------

16. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    i think if you're worried about having to pull a knife on someone you should find a better place to fish. prevention is way better than engaging an individual in hand to hand combat. remember if you pull a gun or a knife ,you better be ready to use it. then theres the legal issue of intended harm and self defence .it seems these days the perpetrator has more rights than the intended victim.it's disgusting ,but these #$^@ judges seem to have manure for their brains when it comes to public safety and the law. just a thought,
    matt

17. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    thanks uk fisherman and s man..
    well, I've taken courses in back-up officer training and received trainin in firing a handgun back in my college days...I'm not afraid to fire and handle the weapon..

I feel I may be careless in proper storage...and probably lose my expensive handgun. I'm surprised my car is still around!
    I've locked and left my keys in the car so much!
    in other words...I'm irresponsible !!!

^_^

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    awshucks is right on, in tx if you are going to, coming from, or engaged in an activity that requires the knife, regardless of size, you can carry it. the pepper spray might be the better alternative though. trust me, i am a correctional officer in the biggest prison in texas, and the idiots who make a living preying on people aren't deterred by much. they are cowards hopped up on dope who will only try to get you for what they assume you have. never assume the mere sight of a weapon will deter anyone! we have wars don't we? hell, carry the pistol on your hip if nothing else, but only after you are super proficient with it! good fishin, jordan

19. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    Don't forget safty in numbers. Don't fish alone and in secluded areas. I also agree with s man. Be safe.

20. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    go to a gun shop and get the pepper spray used for bears. it will slow down a large bear and will work on the scum you are afraid of. it is legal to carry your knife while on a legal hunting or fishing trip. you can get the pepper spray in all different sizes. if you want everyone to see it get the large size that clips on your belt or pocket, small sizes will fit in your pocket or purse.