What are the Ohio River fish doing now?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Kat-addict, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    I went fishing wednesday night and thursday night and had terrible luck compared to a few weeks ago. I had been fishing shallow gravel bars and banks that had a lot of rocks or gravel and was catching lots of channels and flats . I couldn't go for a few weeks and when I did the bite has dropped sharply. The water on the Ohio is up to around 85 deg. surface temp now( and practically no current) and I am wondering if anyone knows what kinda pattern I should be trying. What are the fish doing now?? I have been mostly fishing at night from around 8pm till 1-2 in the morning. Any thoughts? Thanks...Randy

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    What part of the Ohio are you fishing? In the cincinnati area, it had kind of fell of from last week. Last night didn't produce much, mostly little channels and flats. We have noticed that anytime we are on say flat gravel or near the bank, it never really produced big fish latley. Unless we were fishing heavy structure, and getting hung up alot, we weren't catching much. Don't know if this helps you much, even fishing structure last night we only caught little guys..

3. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I hate fishing the ohio when there is no current

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    You need to hang up your poles for a little while, let them come off the bed..AND PRAY FOR RAN...Fishing the Ohio with ZERO current is a nightmare, I know I have trouble catching the fish with no current..Also with the water temp, and how low the river is, I think the fish maybe a little deeper.It should pick back up here around the end of June.

5. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks guys!! I was beginning to think I was doing somethin wrong. I believe I will try deep next time I go. I may not be back out for a while. Someone mentioned praying for rain??? I been doin that for a long time now as I farm and mow grass for a living !! It would sure help the fishin end of things as well. Thanks.......Randy

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I went bank fishing this morning across river from Ironton,OH. I caught several(6) 1-5lb flatties. I had one that was at least 15-20+ almost all the way up to the bank and it flopped its head and threw the hook. He was close enough to get a good look. I was extremely ticked on that. It would have doubled or tripled my 7lb entry on the fish-off. Around here the bite is still pretty decent.
    Oh yeh, all the cats were caught on crawlers. I couldn't get any live bait.:big_smile:

7. trey5569

trey5569 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    went fishing at willow island dam in st marys wv 6/16 to 6/17 used big gills carp and shad caught 2 cannels under five on shad head then sunday morning at 5:10 a clicker started screaming i had a giant 12 inch shad hooked up so i was hoping for the big one and it was just not a catfish pending state record gar for weight 50.25 inches and un certified 21 lbs pics comming soon

8. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yeah, we need some rain bad in the neighboring state !!!

HAWK :smile2:

9. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Headin out tonight to try it again. After the rains we had around the state yesterday the meldahl pool will be flowing at around a 100kcfs tonight. Thats enough current to keep the boat straight and hopefully get the fish stirrin again. My nephew was out during the rain and caught over 15 channels all between 5 and 10 pounds. That was on 6-19-07 in the evening. I'll let ya know tonights results !

10. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I don't know if we had enough rain to moke a difference, but the flats are still on the beds in PA. Hope they come off soon

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    same in the other neighboring state ha ha

12. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    the same here in In. no fish an no bait

13. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Randy Hey bro, let me know when you get on the fish!! Me and my brother are talkin about coming up that way to see yall!!! And I HOPE TO BRING YOU SOME SKIPPYS!!!!!! Email me so i can save ur email! THANKS you BAMA BROTHER CHAD!!

14. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well....The noaa said the current was gonna be around a 100kcfs on 6-20-07 and I am here to tell ya it wasn't...lol. Not even enough to keep the boat anchored straight. The fishin where I went sucked. Fished from 8 in the evening till 2:30 am and got 2 dinks. About 7 lb. flatty and a 2lb. channel. We did try some deep fishing and that wasn't happnin either. Coulda been just the area we went to. Never fished it before,so maybe it just sucks to begin with. I think I will try and concentrate on teaching myself how to get on some big flatties. That oughta keep me busy for a while...lol.
    Bama.....email on the way !

15. Netman123

Netman123 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The flats are still on the bed here in Southern Ohio.

16. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    up here on the upper ohio went out friday and saturday night my nephew caught a 3#channel and my son caught a 11# flathead on friday night nothing at all saturday i think there nesting.