What are the best sauger baits

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by BILLY HOLCOMB, Jan 18, 2008.

1. BILLY HOLCOMB

BILLY HOLCOMB New Member

State:
    WINFIELD,MO
    I HAVE BEEN USING 1/2 TO 1 OZ LEAD HEADS WITH GRUBS TIPED WITH A MINNOW AND STINGER HOOK.WHAT ELSE WORKS IN DEEP WATER ON THE RIVER??

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Billy - Most of the Sauger I catch are on either a minnow on a plain chartreuse jig, a chartreuse floating jighead or a minnow on a plain hook. Nightcrawlers work also.

3. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I think you need to lighten up on your jigs a little bit,the smaller the better IMO.We need a few things answered to get you catching them tasty critters,how deep,how much current and do you fish out of a boat and do you have a trolling motor?Give us a little more to work with and you will be sharpening that filet knife in no time.

4. BILLY HOLCOMB

BILLY HOLCOMB New Member

State:
    WINFIELD,MO
    I AM FISHING OUT OF A BOAT WITH A TROLLING MOTOR BEHIND THE DAMS ON THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER WITH A LOT OF CURRANT.I AM FISHING IN 45 TO 55 FOOT OF WATER VERTICAL JIGING.SOME DAYS I DO GREAT AND THEN NOTHING? I KNOW THE FISH ARE THERE BUT HOW CAN I CHANGE UP ON MY BAITS?I HAVE TRIED DIFFERENT COLORS.IF THEY ARE SUSPENDED HOW DO I GET THEM?

5. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I am not an expert river fisherman for walleyes and sauger by any means but I do know both species fairly well. In fast turbid water color makes almost no difference in my opinion it is how it swims, smells, and sounds that makes the biggest difference.

In you situation what I would do is experiment with size to try to find the lightest jig that will still keep you somewhat vertical. Then make sure to keep fresh bait on it. Try jigging with different motions to trigger the fish. Some days they don't want fast movement while other days they prefer violent jigging motions. If that isn't working try adding rattles to the jigs and repeat the motions. If that is not working don't be afraid to go shallow. I have seen sauger move as shallow as 1 foot to feed then head back to the deep water.

Most of the time they will be deep but they will move up to rest or feed especially if there is some dead water or an eddy there but the won't go far from the deep.

Another thing I have found in rivers is the shelves. Fish the top of a drop off and down to the deepest point. They will typically follow the ledges in search of an easy meal.

I hope this helps in your quest.

6. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Yeah you do fish deep and fast water,the best info I can give ya is chase your line with the trolling motor to try and stay over the jig.Try jigging spoons like hopkins or try something like a silver buddy or heddon sonar.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Jigs tipped with minnows will do the trick!

8. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Berkley power baits tipped with a minnow

9. BILLY HOLCOMB

BILLY HOLCOMB New Member

State:
    WINFIELD,MO
    WHAT KIND OF POWER BAITS,WHAT COLORS??

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When we used to fish for them up in Redwing under the dam, we'd drift verticle with red/yellow or chartrues/yellow fireball jigs tipped with a fathead minnow. The biggest thing is to have an even slow drift, a light rod, and light line so you can feel the pick-ups. It allows you to cover good water, and you can work down your drift to were the fish are, and not where they aren't. Our average fish doing this was 17" long, with several going into the 19"-20" class.

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like bucktails in the colder months, and minnows and half night crawlers in the summer

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    any color is good long as its chartreuse.id also go to fire line or one of the braids to cut down on water drag on the line.

13. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I agree chartreuse is hard to beat!

14. BILLY HOLCOMB

BILLY HOLCOMB New Member

State:
    WINFIELD,MO
    Its been a cold hard season so far this winter with january being the best so far at clarksville mo with many 20+ fish a day all around 11/2 to 2 lbs.All have been sauger so far this year.Best color so far has been watermelon with fire tail tiped with a 3in minnow with stinger hook.Thank god for stinger hooks!!! 99% of my fish ended up on the stinger.Winfield comes in 2nd place with me.Had many good days with less currant than clarksville.Saverton,well it never turned on for me.Most of the time the dams were wide open and the water was down.I never got my baits to the bottom and could noy feal the fall even with 2 oz jigs!!!I never put in at quincy so i do not have a report for it.I plan on going again but after the opening day of trout fishing at montauk state park.That is by salem MO.Is any one doing any sauger fishing on the mississippi now???Thanks for all the advise keep it coming!!!:big_smile:

15. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Berklet power "GRUBS" pumpkin/chartreuse is my favorite! Christmas tree is a good choice also.

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I jig from the bank with a 2" panfish assassin on a 1/4 oz. jighead. I use chartreuse,watermelon,and orange with gold flake. Im fishing Perry Lake outlet here in Kansas. I throw out into the middle , let it sink for 5 sec. then bring it back real slow. Here in about 3 hrs. will be my first time going after them this season, but 2 yrs. ago we hitem pretty good down there with the tackle I described above. :big_smile:

17. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    hi billy,I have at the mississippi at LD24 for over 20 years in the cold water season I use heavy bucktail jigs mostly in deep water.but in the warm water season when the water temp. is above 60 ,I

18. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    thanks for them tips:big_smile:

19. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i fish in a river for saugers and one suprising lure that i find they just tear up is the flying lure of all things. they just love that lure ,especially the white color.