what are the best blue catfish baits?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by CATDADDY78, Apr 17, 2006.

1. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    what is the best bait for big blues and where do you fish on the missouri for the bigguns

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Best baits I know of are large cut baits whether it be gizzard shad, threadfin shad, skipjack herrings, big head asian carps, common carps etc. Big Blues like the baits big and FRESH. As far as location, if you search the threads on the Missouri River, and on this site, you will quickly see the best locations for locating the real Hogs. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

3. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Gizzard shad any day of the week!

4. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i gotta say skipjack or gizzard shad. i also agree that,the bigger the bait the bigger the fish.

5. mckiss

mckiss New Member

State:
    kansas
    i use a live shad but cut it bellie open ,it dont take long they smell the guts ,have a good one dont hit the air bladder if u can ,it stay alive longer

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The 2 biggets blues I ever hooks on a pole were from huge chuncks of cut carp. I caught a 15 pound blue on a 1# carp fileted out, and the body was hooked on. Then I hooked and lost about a 20# blue on a filet from a carp. The filet was probably 1 # (10 inch piece). Other than that the majority of blues I catch are on shad, and live perch.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Cut shad is best for blues around here.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Take about a five or eight lb carp or sucker, fillet it out as if you were to eat it, cut it into 3inch by 3 inch squares. I usually cut a couple of them up. may be sick but cut out there guts and drain all they blood you can get out of them and put it all into a bucket stir it up so the chunks are soakin in fresh blood. Keep it cold though if possible. Gotta be fresh.

9. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    CATDADDY78,

Cut carp later in the summer when the water warms works well. Right now cut /whole shad work well. Use the bigest you can catch. Big bait = Bigger fish. I like fishing deep holes on the river. Get a graph and sein if you don't have them...they are worth their weight in gold.

Good luck!

10. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    When the blues are not taking the cut shad. I switch one of my poles to a 3-5 inch live bluegill. But that is only after the fish have shown no interest in there preferred diet.